S4 FHC flow-through vent leaks

PostPost by: pamitchell » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:38 pm

I discovered the side vents on my coupe allow rain to flow through into the car and ruin my headliner. Looking for any advice on how to seal
these vents off from water intake. I'm inclined to blank off the vents as I usually drive with the windows down year round.
TIA
Phil
69 S4 FHC
San Jose CA.
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:31 pm

and I thought "it never rains in Southern California" well according to the Eagles (wasn't it?).

I don't know if there are any technical bulletins that may suggest a proper answer however here's a thought: this side of the pond builders these days fit a breathable membrane under slate or tile roofs to allow air into the roof space but keep out the rain. I'm sure your local builders yard would allow you a small sample to try it out - just make sure you fit it the right way out and you'll still get air circulating around the car.
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:22 pm

It might work.

Try a google on " Tyvek "

This is a breathable roofing 'felt' membrane, designed to let moisture out,
but not in.

So water (rain eg) cannot get in, but hot (moist) air within the roofspace can escape, taking the the water vapour with it.l

Jeez, kept it brief in case anyone fell asleep ( I did twice).

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Thanks for the responses. It rains in N. Cal where I live.
Has anyone taken the side panels off in the coupe so I can understand
how the vents are supposed to work?
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:04 am

I had my panels off for it's restoration. Each side is attached via two Phillips head screws which screw into the vent grill on the outside. Yes, through the body. If you still have the coat hooks these two may need to be removed. They did in my case. From there you will see how everything works. You may be getting leakage through where the screws go through the body into the vent grills. To waterproof mine I assembled the grills. Noted how much exposed screw treads. Cut some rubber vacuum hose a little longer. Removed the grills. Slipped the hose over the screws and re-attached the vent grills. The rubber hose should compress enough to seal the screws at the body side. So be sure to cut the ends square. It may also be possible that the inside panel is attached to has de-laminated from the body. If you only get leaks during heavy wind blown rain then it is most likely being blown in the vent. As I said when you remove the inside panel and the vent grill it becomes very clear as to how it all works.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:27 am

Took the vent panel apart and discovered there is no seal to keep water
fromtraveling through the vent into the car.
I'll try the Tyvek material to seal off the vent.
Thanks for everyone's advice.
Phil
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:16 pm

On a related note. Which way do the pillar lights mount. Light facing up or down? I'm dealing with an sloopy upholstery job by the DPO.
TIA
Phli
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 am

Mine were lens down. As the car was unrestored I installed new ones the same way. Of course it is possible that the factory installer simply decided to install them that way that day!
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: