Rivets for sill trim clips

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:39 am

Help. :( The sill trim came off the drivers side of my my '72 plus 2. Half of the clips are missing and those that remain are very rusty.

The remaining clips are attached to the body with rivets. I would like to remove the remaining clips and fit new.

A few of questions:
1) Should I rivet the new clips in place, or is there a better method of securing them to the car?

2) I have not applied a rivet before. To rivet the new clips in place do I need to have access to both the front and the back of the rivet? If so, how do I get access to the interior side of the rivet?

3) What is the cleanest way to remove the old rivets?

Thanks

Chris
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:34 am

Chris

You remove the rivets by drilling though their centre with a drill equal to the rivet nominal size. The head comes off and the backside will drop inside the sill.

You dont need access to the back to put in new rivets but the backs of the old rivets will rattle around in there until you remove them.

You need a pop riveting tool to apply the new rivets and select a rivet of the right length to suit the join. Their are a range of rivet material and styles available. I would use a closed end rivet of a corrossion resistant material such as Monel ( a soft nickel alloy) to prevent both water ingress and corrosion and put a little silicone sealant in and around the hole before installing the clip and rivet to ensure a good water tight seal.

I guess you could glue the strips directly on rather than use the clips and rivets or glue the clips on rather than rivet them but I would stick with the original design.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Chris,

I got new trim clips from Paul Matty (Roy in parts dept). They are pop riveted on much like Rohan suggested.
Any decent tool store will stock pop rivet gear. I used 3mm medium length rivets.

Drill out the old rivets, clean up the body work then rivet the new clips on using the old holes (or drill a new hole beside the old one). Make sure you attach the clips the right way up! It's not a difficult job.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Excellent! Thanks guys.

Chris
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: