Strengthening +2 Bodywork

PostPost by: kevin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:10 pm

I recall hearing some time ago that Lotus made some improvements to the early +2 body by strengthening the fibreglass around the rear strut pillars. I?ve currently got the interior out of my car in order to swap out the fuel tank. Can anyone tell me what needs doing (if anything) to strengthen this area?

I seem to recall that I need to fill in the gap between the pillars and the inside of the rear quarter panel.

Thanks

Kevin
www.lotuelan.info
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:02 pm

Not sure about that area Kevin but an area which can use some additional layers is the area inside the nose in and around the light pod pivots ......... I added some to my S4 in the hope that it may help :wink:

A bit of extra strength virtually everywhere on Lotus shells is probably a good idea providing you don't make life difficult for yourself when it comes to making things fit back together
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:44 am

Kevin

I am no expert in plus 2 body work as mine has never needed any but i would suggest you talk to Spyder. With all the conversions they are doing they must be aware of it if its a real issue that needs fixing.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:49 am

Hi Kevin
I believe that the earlier shells were a fair bit heavier and much more resistant to stress cracks than the later shells. This was due to saving a bit of time here and there laying up the shell, and of course 'adding lightness' to make the car perform that wee bit better.

That's not to say that some structural improvements weren't made to the later ones. I will shortly be doing a chassis change on both an early car and a very late one, so I'll take some pics and measurements for future reference.

Meanwhile, the pics attached are of a late car (7307) showing the rear towers....do these look like yours? I can easily take more pics if you need them.

Mark
Attachments
z150606 002.jpg and
7307 2
z150606 001.jpg and
7307 1
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jim gillett » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:41 pm

The workshop manual covers this subject in section B.38 - Rear Body Stiffness.You fit blocks in the gaps and laminate them in place. If you don't have a manual I can e-mail you the relevent pages.
cheers Jim
jim gillett
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:46 pm

So it does! Interesting that the heading for B.38 is REAR BODY STIFFNESS and they describe it as 'to assist in eliminating squeaks to the rear interior'!
Here are a couple of close-ups of the area...this should do it!
Mark
Attachments
z150606a 002.jpg and
z150606a 001.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kevin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. I noticed the section in the manual regarding 'elimination of squeaks' this evening whilst looking for something completely different! Needless to say that I'll be implementing this improvement over the weekend - along with modifications inside the front nosecone and the front bulkhead.

Mark, thanks for the photo's. They give me a much clearer understanding as to what I've got to do.

I'll update the progress on my website.

Thanks

Kevin
www.lotuselan.info
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: