Frame Identification Number ?

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Can anyone recall if Lotus numbered the frames of elans like they did their spaceframes ( all have arch motors numbers)

If they did, where on the frame did they mark it ?
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:10 am

:unsure: I bought my Elan with a 1-1/2" X 2-1/2" piece of the frame missing on top near the oil pump. Through this board, I discovered that is where the number used to be! I have welded in a patch since then. Obviously somebody cut out the number for reasons unknown.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:52 am

when you part the body from the chassis you will find a number 26r and four numbers i can no longer remember stamped on the chassis right around the shift lever area ---this is a part number -- the chassis number should be stamped on the frame rail top on the exhaust side 4 inches or so behind the front upright ---HOWEVER --bear in mind this is a lotus ---also Mr Chapman apparently did some creative tax saving actions [like using the same numbers on cars shipped to separate areas of the world]---and not stamping numbers on chassis -etc ---I'm told ----- so if you cant find the chassis number it makes it more of a lotus or it was close to tea time when your chassis hit the assembly line -- :lol: ed law
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:05 am

>I bought my Elan with a 1-1/2" X 2-1/2" piece of the frame missing on top near >the oil pump.
Frank
It was probably cut out to enable removal of the oil pump without removing the engine mount and jacking up the engine so it clears the chassis as it is pulled out

regards
Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:00 pm

thanks all, body is off so, i will look tomorrow, I ll keep every one posted as to what i find.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:37 pm

Nada on the chassis number ( so far )
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: