URGENT BOOT HELP!

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Urgent help required please... I have my car in bits, and need to use it later (it's my daily driver...)
I'm replacing the boot release cable, as the old one snapped. An easy enough job I thought..

HOWEVER... Can someone please tell me how I release the bolt on the inside of the driver's door pillar so as the release that end of the cable? I've had a good old tug at the trim and it doesn't seem to want to move. it's very well glued...

All suggestions, gratefully recieved...

(ASAP!)

thanks as always.
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:40 pm

Not sure if this will help as i don't have the remote release but if you pull the door seal off by the lock latch plate you should see a screw which holds the trim on???
John
:wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Having gone out for one more look, I don't think that door seals are the answer.. unless I'm missing a trick somewhere...
See, this is why I leave these things to a mechanic..! Changing a washer is a big deal for me, and I just drive the damn thing...! However, nice afternoon, new boot release cable, manuals in hand, I had a great plan...
which all went to pot.

Can anyone offer some help on a step by step guide to removing and fitting a new boot release cable (for an idiot), or is another trip to the garage my only hope? Looks like I'm driving to work tommorrow with an open boot too. Fab...

Many grovelling thanks.
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:22 pm

First, do you have a baby or a +2? Here is my answer for a +2. I believe you have to remove the panel inside the wheel arch in front of the rear wheel. There should be a backup nut inside there. Once backed off teh whole cable slides through the nut.
Ken
'69+2 with BDR
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Ken's right - I've recently fitted a new cable to mine. If you have a Plus 2 you need to remove the panel from the rear wheelarch (which hopefully will be screwed on rather than rivetted) and undo the nut holding the cable from behind.
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:06 pm

excellent, thanks. Is it easier with the wheel off?
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:06 pm

Is it easier with the wheel off?

Definately!
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Simon,

I suggest you DON'T drive around with an open bootlid as the exhaust fumes get sucked straight back inside... At least they do on mine anyway - I only need to drive a few hundred metres to find out if the boot is not shut properly!

Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:09 am

Why are these people asking if it's a +2 in the +2 forum?
My latch was broken when I bought my +2 years ago, no cable, no latch, the car has the "gravity close" system. I just don't put things of value in the boot when I leave the car un-attended and I've never noticed a fume problem. I have thought of velcro-ing it shut but have never got around to it.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:13 am

The reason some of us ask first if it is a +2 is because we arrive at this forum by clicking on a link fron the "Elan" message board. Some of those links are +2 and some not. Okay, we (I) don't look at the header, only read the text.
Ken
+2 with BDR
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:54 pm

I feel it might be better if the things in common section came before the Elan and the +2 one. 90% of traffic probably belongs in there.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: