S1 Frame Color ?

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:39 pm

My understanding is that the original ccolor of the s1 frame was redish brown by viture of the redoxide coating used to inhibit rust. Yet I see lots of pictures of black frames ( i think used in later series cars) and frames powdercoated grey ( lotus space frames were almost always grey ( dark or medium) a color I am not sure they ever used for the elan

need a sanity check here because my inclination is to powercoat my S1 frame a color to match the red-oxide including low-sheen.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:32 pm

The black was bitumen (Tar-like) undercoating to prevent water from getting to the red oxide. My S4 had it and it seemed to work since there was no rust. Of course sitting for 20 years in garages helped.

I understand the replacement chassis are galvanized which would account for the grey color.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: llevey » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:52 pm

The frame of my S1, which is original, untouched and non-rusted is as you described reddish-brown or nearly a red oxide in color.
llevey
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ngiovas » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:23 am

My S1 also had a red oxide frame. The best way I can describe it is "primer red". Right now it is black from having it acid dipped and e-coated, but my plan is to have it powder coated in a red oxide color and then have a flat clear powder coat put over it to remove the sheen.

Nick
ngiovas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Alpine_Ian » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:24 pm

I just painted my new frame to match my damaged old one. I used red oxide epoxy primer. Looks great!
Alpine_Ian
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: