Wiper Spindles

PostPost by: hat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:55 am

Just bought new rubber, cowl and nut for the wiper spindles.

The nuts wont grip the thread with the rubbers in place. Without the rubber its fine

Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks
"lets look on it as an investment darling. One day it will..................................."
hat
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:07 pm

I had the same problem when I reinforced this area from inside the car to repair the original spindle holes - thus increasing the thickness of the bodywork.

There's a black plastic spacer underneath where the spindles poke through the body. If you can poke the spindles back through into the car you should be able to remove the spacers and cut off a couple of mm with a hacksaw, allowing a bit more thread for the nuts to grip (easy for me to say as the dash is currently out of my car..)

Good luck!
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hat » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:21 am

Thanks for that. My dash is still in place so I am starting to think that I just might leave off the rubber washer and risk the wet carpets.
"lets look on it as an investment darling. One day it will..................................."
hat
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:15 am

Some silicone sealant under the nuts and between the sahft and the fibreglass should stop any leaking if you leave out the rubber washer.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: