Do the lower sills look better painted black or body color?

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:12 pm

elj221c wrote:Pah! You lot are lucky you've got sills!

Mine are all blown out by the rusty trellis.......

Trellis? Thee 'ad it easy- we used to dream of cloches (aye, an wi'aht glass ...or frames) never mind t'trellises.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 am

piss-ant wrote:
elj221c wrote:Pah! You lot are lucky you've got sills!

Mine are all blown out by the rusty trellis.......

Just in case you can't find this old post
elan-f14/elan-door-surround-latice-yours-rotten-too-t15161.html

Thanks Gary. I have had that post bookmarked since we discussed the sill problem all those years ago........

A good pointer for others, though.

Oh, and whats left of mine are body coloured...........
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 am

adigra wrote:I didn't delete the photos, but my web server is moving and I've had outages for the past few days.

As I said, I really am not upset by this, but I am quite bored of it being pointed out. To highlight the point, the photo OEW used to create the animated gif showing the blacking out of the sill is actually of my car from three years ago (and that is my father in law in the back), which was used back then to tell me multiple times that I should paint the sills.

I am aware that the cars came out of the factory with the sills black. I also know that many photographs of racing and modified cars in period show the sills to be in body colour (including the Stirling Moss Elan, many of the Shapecraft cars, etc.). So, even from that perspective, an argument can be made that it's a period correct modification. But completely regardless of that, it is my car, I have been "made aware" that the opinion of many is that I should paint the sills black (over and over and over), so I will make my choice at my own convenience.

The rigid views of some enthusiasts of what should and shouldn't be done to other people's cars is what's making the hobby seem more like a chore than enjoyment, which shouldn't be.

Regards,
Adi

Hi Adi,
I just read your message.
You say that you are bored to be pointed out, but it's just because of the picture of a blue car with a man on the background I used.
You are right, I used one of your pictures to show the vision of black sills.
I didn't used "OEW" because it had them from new and I though it 'll pleased you ...
At the time I made it, 3 years ago, this was the best way, prior to use too many words. During that time, you never seems to be bored about that, as I didn't get PM or e-mail asking for its removal.
Now that animation is back in use, and yes, it's still your car, but should be another car/color, it's use still stand for anyone is asking himself before doing that finish.
I am not, and my car - "OEW"- show that better than I write it, one of these "rigid viewed peoples" you describe, but as I already wrote, when you had spend time/money in a bolt/nuts restauration to make your car as close of its first day, you should be waiting for such comments, beside all the compliments.
Again, Adi, I am not going to do the work on your superb car, nor on any other, and again, feel free to follow, or not. Your car 'll stay superb to my eyes. And for sure to many others.
Hope this close the story.
Cheers,
Christian. :mrgreen:

Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: