New rear bumpers at Paul Matty

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:01 pm

I’ve just unwrapped my Elan +2 rear bumper which was rechromed by Derby Plating 4 years ago and it is excellent as noted on this thread. I bought the +2 as a non-running project from Paul Matty and he said at the time that it had one of his bumpers. However, having looked at fitting it I am puzzled. It has six mounting holes on the top surface, two being on the side pieces, but there are only four mounting holes in the body with none for the side pieces. It also has two larger holes on the vertical rear face.

I suspect that this ‘Matty’ bumper is for fitting on early and late +2’s and the two extra top holes and the two large rear holes are for fitting on early +2’s.

Anyone seen similar?
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:38 pm

Interesting you mention this as it's something that has puzzled me - my 68 Plus came without bumpers and I obtained a very rough rear bumper which I repaired and had plated at Derby - as you say their quality is superb.

However I noticed my car had no holes on the vertical face of the firbreglass, whereas the bumper had two - so I welded these up prior to sending off to Derby.

...I've just checked some old photos of my previous 1970 car and that had no holes on the vertical rear face of the bumper either so I suspect these holes may have been a feature of later 130/s cars but as with everything Lotus...who knows?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:58 pm

If it's any help my +2S130 with the original Lotus bumper with bottom lip surround, does not have any holes on the top of the side pieces at all.

As an aside, Derby Plating wanted to get eliminate the original style bottom lip when replating my bumper. The lip causes them problems when polishing apparantly. However at my persistance they managed to replate and thankfully retain the lip when doing so.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:41 am

1970 Non-S:
Attachments
BumperHoles.png and
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS