Bumper to body trim how to retain?

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:54 pm

The piece of trim that I have had for 16 years is an unequal T, 15mm across the flange with one side 6mm the other side 7.8mm the web makes up the difference and is 9.4mm long.

My recent purchase is an equal T, 20mm across the flange both sides of the flange are 8.6mm. The web is 6mm, which causes me concern about stability.

I also have ordered a piece from Sue and wait to see what arrives.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:09 am

I bought these 2 original bumper trims from a dear friend, sadly no longer with us. He bought them from either Peter Day or Len Street, about 40 years ago, so we can be pretty sure they are correct.

Width 14.72mm Depth 10.20mm Size to the T 7.72 & 5.78 There are raised ribs on the T piece to aid fixing.

Richard's trim strip is not far off.

I have mentioned this before. When I removed a bumper from my first Sprint in the early 1980's, the trim strip was held in place by jamming pieces of hardboard between the body / trim / bumper. It was held fast.

Leslie
Attachments
P1010001(97).JPG and
P1010002(90).JPG and
P1010003(92).JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zog » Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:29 am

I am glad this conversation is taking place now as I am about to try to fit the plastic strip on the bumper of my latest restoration (Cheyenne). I usually modify the bumper so it has a clean line flush with the body but this car came with a new bumper and a new strip so I thought I would try to make it look original. It usually takes me about 8 hours of work to take a rough fitting old bumper and make it straight and flush with the body lines. But since this one looked pretty good when I got it, I thought I would give the stock plastic strip a try.

Famous Frank is sending me some of the double stick tape he sells with his aluminum strips for the top of S1/S2 doors. I found it to be real sticky but very thin when I installed the door top strips from him on my last 2 restorations.

Thanks!
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:41 pm

I used Devcon clear silicone adhesive, but only on the bumper side to hold mine on. That way I can remove the bumper if needed. It has held tight for going on 5 years with no lifting at the ends. Did not need much and I held it in place with tape until cured. Available at Ace hardware near me. No affiliation with either. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:47 pm

Leslie,

Trim strip arrived from Sue Miller this morning, and is the same section as the piece I have had in store for 16 years.

I ordered two pieces as the postage is more than the item. Sue sends this trim tied to a piece of wood and protected with bubble wrap. I was hoping that a new piece would be more flexible but it is not and I have already damaged one piece trying to bend it around the area by the by the right headlamp, managed the left hand side satisfactorily. Will try again tomorrow, with the second piece from Sue.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: