(un)Pimping a Toad

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Answering what Ben said, I didn't like the paint job that was done where the silver roof matched up against the Lagoon Blue. Trying to repair the paint in that area would have been a chore, and I am not sure whatever was done would have been any better. I was able to procure two (2) of the stainless strips that are attached at the top of the doors. By shortening and bending them, I got them to lay flat along the body, covering the paint line, and aligned with the strip on the door, back to ridge where the top rear side panel meets the rear window. There is a bit of a gap between the end of the strip and the rear window. Some retaining clips from RDent and some small screws and nuts hold the strip in place. Yea, it's a mod, but it looks pretty nice, like something Chapman should have done in the first place. The bending and tweaking is a bit of chore, as the strip has to be bent in three (3) planes, up, in and with a twist. I chose to use the door strips, because the new pieces would look like a continual line from the door to the rear of the top. I really have trouble just leaving things alone.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm

prezoom wrote: I really have trouble just leaving things alone.

Quite right too! A pic. would be useful.

To answer suggests of having it wrapped, I assume this would still leave a problem at the join.

Perhaps a thin silver "coachline" sticker could be used? Wasn't the graphics on the Sprint mainly there to cover the paint join?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 pm

vincereynard wrote:To answer suggests of having it wrapped, I assume this would still leave a problem at the join.

Maybe or maybe not. I am not sure what the fault at the join line is. It maybe possible to have the wrap come a little lower and cover it. If not you still got coach line option over the edge of the wrap.

What teh wrap would do is allow you to tone down the roof a little without painting it or permanent damage.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: popeonearope » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:55 am

Has anyone please found a gold flake wrap brand / manufacturer? - am looking to put a gold flake wrap on my non original metallic burgundy elan + 2 roof but can’t find a gold with sufficient flake / glitter

Thanks, Liberace…
popeonearope
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: