New Plus 2 body shell

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 am

The main difference with the screen aperture is there is no lip for the rubber along the bottom on those designed for bonded screens, the dash top support is moulded in such a way that it does away with the lip, or at least it is on my car. A bit difficult to explain & I'm not sure I can get a photo without removing the crash pad, which I don't really want to do. As I understood things, apart from the very first cars, the screen is the same on all models, sourced from the Ford Consul Capri, but the aperture changed depending on how it was fitted. (At least two different types of rubber, plus bonded) ?
As mentioned earlier by Randy, there are several other differences, probably the most difficult bit to change is the boot floor, which is totally different for the transverse silencer. Of course, if you weren't worried about originality, you could just use the later style shell as is, or just change the easy bits, but I've seen the shells offered by this ebay seller, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lotus-elan-bo ... xyuR5TZ4Nx, if it's the one you refer to. They do need a hell of a lot of remedial work & are very thin so need a lot of reinforcing. You will have nearly as much work to get one ready for paint as you would to repair your original shell.

ClashofLotus wrote: reading Tims story makes me think I can repair anything!! :)

It's fibreglass, you can with a little practice & patience :D
As Rohan says, much of the work is not that difficult, with a little guidance from your uncle, you could do it yourself, then just leave the final finishing & painting to a professional.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Orsom Weels wrote: A bit difficult to explain & I'm not sure I can get a photo without removing the crash pad, which I don't really want to do.

They're not very good, but here are a couple of pic's which I hope show what I was trying to describe.

img_0070.jpg and
This is from inside the car, you can just about make out the bead of adhesive between the glass & the dash top panel

img_0072.jpg and
This one is from outside, looking down through the screen with the crash pad teased back. In the centre you can just about see the profile of the end of the dash top panel. It forms a flat ledge about 3/4" from the screen then turns down at 90 degrees for about 1/2", before turning 90 degrees again & continuing under the crash pad.
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ClashofLotus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:46 am

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying to you all sooner but thanks so much for the information.

I am still looking for a good donor body before I commit to fixing mine - my last resort will be to buy a new body and put in the time to fix that up to spec. Im not really that fussed about originality as the current nose on the car is actually from a +2S even though mine is a fairly early +2.

Special thanks to Tim for taking the photos too! Much appreciated.

Will let everyone know how I go and if anyone hears of a good donor body (especially in Aus) please let me know.

Cheers,

Adam
ClashofLotus
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: