What car is this boot lock originally from?

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Steve, that opens up your audience to all three of the filing cabinet restorers out there. :lol: I know you're looking for other cars this might be on.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Not a filing cabinet but a metal storage locker, I knew I had seen something like that somewhere, I have lots of old industrial cabinets in my UK garage, was it on my clothes locker, and then it hit me, somewhere closer to home (the one where my hat is currently laid) I have just gone down into my cellar and looked at the metal 2 door bench height cabinet I use to store flammable materials and it has a pair of handles almost exactly the same, one is fixedon the door held captive by the other one which has the handle operating the locking mechanism, the type that shoots rods up and down to secure the door.

Another thing recovered from a factory refurb, probably 60's.

I know where to come if I need a new handle and become an originality anorak!!!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Chancer said: it has a pair of handles almost exactly the same, one is fixedon the door held captive by the other one which has the handle operating the locking mechanism, the type that shoots rods up and down to secure the door.

Espagnolette bolts/lock.

Post up some pics will you. I'll be shocked if they are the same or similar. Though it's nice to get the occasional shock or is that just me?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:18 pm

How do you post pics on this site?

Its a lot of grief for me, my computer wont recognise my camera since the last Windows upgrade, I have to remove the sim and put it in a sim reader, copy to computer then if I have to upload to Photobucket or similar you will just have to take my word that the handles are very similar but not exactly the same, the rear shaft and split pin hole are identical, not sure about length.

I know somewhere I have or have used a cabinet with exactly the same handle, well I think that I know.

My Myford lathe was missing knob/handle, I rummaged through my bits and bobs and found an American looking tiny chromed T bar handle marked "HOOD" it was the bonnet release from my first car, a 105E Anglia which I had saved, it really looks the part on the lathe, I'll probably sell it one day for hundreds of ?'s on EBay!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Chancer wrote:How do you post pics on this site?

If you have the picture hosted elsewhere on the web, put [img ] (without a space in it) before the image's URL, and [/img ] (also with no space in it) after the image's URL. I had to put spaces in those tags so that they would be visible.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

The answer is to buy yourself an iPad. Since I did I very rarely use my PC unless I want to print something. Like you I used to use a card reader and the memory card from my camera -it's cumbersome. iPad takes the photo uploads it, stores it, even edits it, deals with emails, multiple forum use, even has a txt app that I could use to send and receive texts for free. Loads of other stuff too. Fantastic little things -mine is 16gb and I'm no where near capacity after 17 months use. Can you tell I'm a fan?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:55 am

this thread needs pictures........ :roll:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:08 am

Elanfan, yes I can tell that you are a fan, I guess you cannot tell that I am a luddite, stubborn to the point of stupidity, have never run with the pack and the more people tell me I should do something the less I am likely to :lol:

I love my old Nokia mobile phone that has no screen other than for text messages, its small, robust and lasts for a week on a charge and I dont look like everyone else that are glued to their Smartphones.

Chacun a son gout.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Photos uploaded to other sites and displayed via the {img} {/img} tags , eventually dissapear through the owner of the photo not maintainging his/her account on the photo site.

Many good old topics are ruined by this.

So it is best to upload them to this site and let Jeff look after them

He has written a tutorial on how to do it:

questions-f20/tutorial-how-upload-photos-t27816.html
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:06 pm

I've see these or similar handles used on large suspended drawing/vertical planfile cabinets - where we used to keep master drawings suspended before we had CAD. Lotus would probably have had drawing cabinets and might have adapted from there!
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:47 pm

I am staggered, and amused, by the amount of discussion a simple question about an old boot handle created :-)

'Normal' people would consider us anal and crackers, but I love it ( maybe because I can be anal and have been called crackers a few times over the years) :-)

Thanks for the imput guys.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:58 pm

I love it because Lotus played so creatively with where their bits came from.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:19 am

Gray wrote:I've see these or similar handles used on large suspended drawing/vertical planfile cabinets - where we used to keep master drawings suspended before we had CAD. Lotus would probably have had drawing cabinets and might have adapted from there!

You are right on the money, the handle looked familiar because I was a draughtsman, I could almost feel the thing in my hand, not enough leverage and not rounded enough but just could not recall where, the last time that I would have used a vertical plan file was in 1984 when I left the company where I did my apprenticeship, the others after that used drawer units which were nowhere near as good and with CAD there was no longer the need to keep the originals in perfect condition for making dieline prints.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:26 am

The Veg wrote:I love it because Lotus played so creatively with where their bits came from.

More than likely Young and relatively inexperienced detail draughtsman who did not have a wide ranging knowledge of suppliers, there was not Google in those days, you had to know who sold something and have their catalogue, as a freelance designer I would carry wardrobes of them around with me!

I once specified the cone shaped rubber bonnet stop from a Triumph Herald on a very exotic hugh end security product :lol:
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 pm

But still creative- nobody assumed that automotive bits necessarily had to be used.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: