Door seals yet again...........

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Actually my doors don't stick out at all with the original seal fitted (i'd go so far as to say there perfect) but after spending some quality time with the new seal i found its not the Bulb part that's the issue, seems its the gripper section that stands too high and catches the bottom of the door, even if i adjust the door up too far it still makes good contact and pushes the door out.

I know this for sure (on my car) as i cut the bulb off a section of new seal (it still pushes the door out), the original seal slides over the body fully and clears the door by 5mm where the new seal bottoms out before the flange hits the bottom of the seal so stands to proud so not enough clearance to let the bottom of the door pass.

If that makes sense.

This is the gap that caused me the issue with the sticky out doors. (note now there is a gap i have flush doors :))
P1040132.JPG and
P1040131.JPG and
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: europatek » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Attached below is the only seal section I found that would work and I believe is very similar to the original used by Lotus. I experimented with several sections and settled on the one in the picture. What I found was:-
-The doors are out of shape ? we all know that. I cut and shut my LH door to fit the body more correctly.
-The seal face on the door along the bottom edge is also not flat (it should be as it runs parallel to the seal flange on the body) I filled mine to be flat
-With door adjusted properly ? best fit to body and latch/sticker working properly, many seal types, particularly the bulb type made it almost impossible to shut the door ? hence much experimentation.
-With the seal shown fitted, with no mods to the seal, the doors can be aligned and made to shut properly.
-I made a small triangular piece of rubber to fill the gap between the frame and the door shell at the point the frame passes into the door shell at the leading end. With the door shut there is a gap which does a good job of feeding cold air directly at you. The wedge shape rubber fixed that.
If you read through my resto thread you?ll see the work I did on the door.
Attachments
door-seal-section.JPG
door-seal-section.JPG (15.14 KiB) Viewed 307 times
europatek
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: