Donor car for door handle and fog lamps

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 am

The list has gotten a bit more curmudgeonly lately.

I recall when I first acquired my +2 for restoration and was new to the list, I posted a rather worried sounding query about there being wood spacers under the bonnet catches. As the car I purchased was a basket case and not as described I was concerned that the wood shims were a previous owner bodge and an indication of a serious problem. As it seemed unlikely to me then that Lotus would use wood as a shim.

I remember one of the responses included his understanding of "that sinking feeling" when you believe you have discovered a serious defect. This was my first restoration and as a newbie I relied on the list for seemingly endless advice. I replaced virtually every part on my +2. Tenacity sure is expensive.

I would hope that the tone of the list could be more mellow. If the question asked is basic and has been covered then don't respond or simply suggest an archive search. I know several of my questions have gone unanswered. Thats the way it goes.

My experiences on other lists have been lousy. No list that I am presently a member offers the depth of knowledge and thorough thoughtful explanations as this forum. I have a 10% or less chance that a legitimate tech question would be even answered on one Jaguar forum. A request for the bearing part numbers (timken) for my TVR posted on a TVR list brought a not so veiled threat explaining that asking for that information was frowned upon as the person who responding was a mechanic with a specialty TVR repair shop and that information would take away his livelihood. I delisted from that forum.

Just my opinion.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: