Hood Cover Issues

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:39 am

Gary,
First off, seeing your photos reminded me that mine also looked like yours when I first tried fitting my Don hood cover. Looks dreadfull, and in the end you would get sick of looking at it. I am sick of looking at yours already!!!! You have to live with it.

Another thing to be mindfull of when fitting the hood cover, and how tight it is, and how good it would look being really tight. The hood (not hood cover) will be permanently attached to the rear of the hood stowage tray by the centre 7, male, Tenax fasteners. The hood cover then has to have enough free play to allow for this second layer. It also has to allow for the bulk of the folded hood when stowed. This has to be taken into consideration when determining correct fitting of your hood cover. Don't forget, the only time that your hood cover will be fastened in place is when the the hood is down.

Regards,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:42 am

AHM wrote:gearbox,
Yes exactly! we have the small claims court to make it a simple process.

We do indeed but as with all things it doesn't always work as it should and when making a "small claim" there are no guarantees of a satisfactory outcome and indeed that there will not be consequent costs.

My point, based on decades of experience, is that it's far better to talk to people, keep calm and reasonable and try to seek an amicable solution.

Conflict and courts should be a last resort when all other avenues have been explored.

I also think the cover looks ghastly and did in fact say so and I think the OP should strive to get it sorted.

Gearbox .......it was meant to be a light hearted remark suggesting that our legal system is very different to the USA and sadly there are many people in the UK who go through the system and do not get the result they deserve.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:57 am

nebogipfel,

It sounds like we are in complete agreement! The first thing that would come up in evidence is if they had the opportunity to make good.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:00 am

I would copy all these responses and send them to the company explaining that you don`t want to take any heavy-handed action. Just state that, clearly, their work in this case is unacceptable and ask them, politely, to refit the cover properly. I`m sure they will.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:05 am

nebogipfel wrote: Gearbox .......it was meant to be a light hearted remark suggesting that our legal system is very different to the USA and sadly there are many people in the UK who go through the system and do not get the result they deserve.

I would have said taht the basic principle of fareness and justice seem to be the same - our execution and willingness to take things to court are not. Sadly there are many people in the UK who do not go through the system and do not get the result they deserve.... MP's? Bankers? Clear evidence of criminal behaviour with large sums of money involved.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply, problems wiht my password.
Mine was the one featured in the highlighted thread.
I'm sorry, yours looks awful.
I'm no mechanic and it's far better.
Ask for your money back, it's an abortion.
If you wish to do it yourself get one from Sue Miller.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Totally agree wiyh 661....

Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harky71 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am

I have spoken to Don Hoods again today. The car is now booked in for 24th July for them to re do the job. I have stated that I am not prepared to pay any more money. He was positive although was still suggesting that the measurements of the car may be a factor. I gave him my and everyone elses view on this. He suggested we agree to disagree on this.

Thanks again for all your replies. I will post update with pics when they have re done the job.

Cheers

Gary
Harky71
New-tral

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having, but thanks for sharing them with us all.

This sounds like the last place I'll be going to get any fabric goods, hoods, envelopes, etc.!!! - (I think you've received outrageous service!)

Best of luck with the re-fitting, I hope they get it sorted for you -

Phil.
'72 DHC Sprint.

Sometimes my lotus makes me cry.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:23 pm

I have purchased two tonneau covers from Don; the first, a vinyl one about 1976 and the second, a double-duck one about ten years ago. With both of these the female Tenax fasteners around the rear of the cover were a customer-fit, due to the variable placement of the male fasteners in the rear deck by the factory.

What seems to have gone wrong with your hood cover, aka 1/4 tonneau, is that they fitted the front fastenings (and ally strip) first, rather than fitting the rear (Tenax) fittings and then aligning the front fittings to suit. I suspect that your "experienced" fitter did not have much/any experience of this job.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 am

Harky71 wrote:He was positive although was still suggesting that the measurements of the car may be a factor.

I don't understand the relevance of this comment. Surely if the measurements of all our cars were the same, we would buy an off the shelf product and fit and forget. The whole purpose of going to a custom fitter is for them to take into account the different measurements and compensate for this during the fitting.

I wouldn't be happy with the standard of fitting done by these professionals, as shown in the photos by Gary. I would expect a higher standard even if I had done it myself! I recently fitted a full tonneau to my car, it was a long and slow process but I am really happy with the final outcome.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi all, I had a hood from Don hood and there was no way it was ever going to fit! Had a local upholsterer look at it and he agreed. Sent it back and got my money back.
Another local firm made me one - extremely tight fit -maybe too tight, but no bowing at speed, and watertight.
Got a hoodcover from Sue Miller and fitted it mself - no prob and easy too.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Harky71 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:24 pm

My car was back in at Don Hoods yesterday for them to refit the hood cover. It was a different fitter and I must say a very different result. Very pleased with how the hood cover looks now. I think they have made a new one from scratch. Hopefully they will keep template and use it in the future. No mention of any extra cash to pay either. Result.

Cheers

Gary.
Attachments
DSCF1470.JPG and
DSCF1469.JPG and
Harky71
New-tral

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Wow, that looks miles better, well worth going back for.. I could almost be tempted
Great result!
Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Harky71 wrote:My car was back in at Don Hoods yesterday for them to refit the hood cover. It was a different fitter and I must say a very different result. Very pleased with how the hood cover looks now. I think they have made a new one from scratch. Hopefully they will keep template and use it in the future. No mention of any extra cash to pay either. Result.

Cheers

Gary.

Glad you got it fixed Gary. It looks good now :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: