Body Parts

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Definitely a repair with no need for a grafted piece.

Why did the tire contact the lip? That should be corrected also.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
1968 TVR Vixen
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.4
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks for the input, Bob. Yes, I have been concerned about why the tire would contact. As far as I know, the car is all original w/ no major body / frame damage. It has 155 / 13s on stock steel KOs, but I have no experience about whether hitting a major bump / pothole at max steering lock, bad springs, shocks, or some other such condition would cause such a rub. Looking more closely now, I see that the left side tire has begun to rub the fender lip on that side.

I had planned to lower the car a bit on rebuild, but I do not see how this would be possible with this tire size.

I am working towards a full front suspension & brake rebuild this winter. I will try to check all dimensions & symmetry as I reassemble. Also planning for Minilites / Panasports, now not sure what tire size & spacing will work

Jay
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:43 am

After being rear ended I purchased a complete outer skin from the middle of the sills backwards and bootlid for my +2 from Boss, they are extemely helpfull and will mould whatever section you wish from the full original moulds, for me they filled in the bottom 3 inches of the rear window apperture as mine is a convertable.
It fitted perfectly using all the original joints except the sills which were tapered and joined.

I did the work myself after not being happy wth a previous insurance repair, after 4 years the only issue is one small star crack in the bootlid where the outer skin must have been hit by the hole cutter cutting the latch holes underneath.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ClashofLotus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:52 am

Hey guys,

Sorry to resurrect this post but figured its better than starting a new one.

Is there any chance that Boss Motors is still alive and kicking? Does anyone know what the prices are like for a full body? After taking the paint of my body I have (probably like many before me) uncovered a lot of repairs that are needed. While most are probably repairable I was very interested to know what the cost of a new shell would be worth and if it made sense going down that path... even including the shipping to the land down under.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Adam
ClashofLotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Wattie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:13 am

Same thing here, removed paint and don't like the look of all the repair work.

Any idea what price a new shell is ?

Thanks,

A
Elan Plus 2 owner since 1989
Wattie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 am

give them a ring on 01953 887471.
they are based by snetterton racetrack
I called 'em yesterday for first time enquiring about rear end for +2 . They reckoned about ?750.
good luck!
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Boss Motors currently have a new S3 bodyshell for sale on eBay for ?2950, so I would expect a +2 bodyshell to be a similar price.

eBay item number: 321501875702
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nkat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:50 am

I just had a very helpful chat on the phone with Mick of Boss Motors re replacement shells. Today's price GBP3,000 for the dhc; doors, bonnet and boot at GBP160 each; full body for the dhc GBP3,900.
nkat
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: