Jacking points

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:20 pm

I seem to recall that the official front jacking points are the ends of the bolts of the dampers/springs. The original scissor jack has a depression in the centre for the bolt to rest in.

Generally like the others I use the vacuum cross member, but with a wooden plank big enough that the ends of the planks stop the wishbones dropping down. Out on the road I would probably use the end of the vacuum cross member, with a small piece of wood kept in the boot.

For extensive work on the back I made a support consisting of a six foot length of 4x4 (a fence post) with two shorter (near 3 ft) lengths of 4x4 bolted to it, so that there is a gap in the middle to clear the exhaust pipe. This means that the weight is taken by the chassis (just in front of the rear wheels) but the fibreglass body provides stability. I jack it at the centre then support the ends with concrete blocks.

See the first photo in
elan-f14/replacing-the-doughnuts-t16456.html
for a picture of it in use.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:28 pm

persiflage wrote:I have always been wary of jacking on the body, even when using a good length of 4x2 as a spreader ... that's 100x50 for the youngsters looking in :) .
(Does anybody else out there have the same problem as me when it comes to metric nuts/bolts/sockets/spanners? I always have to look at the size!)
... but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience of this bit of kit.

http://www.cjautos.site90.net/mini.html

http://www.cjautos.site90.net/3in1.html

Oooh, those look quite handy, but not suitable for an Elan as it stands. think you would also need two of my 'fence' beams at back & front of the lifting plates, so that the weight can be taken by the central chassis with the outer edges under the door sills, just providing stability not lift.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: