Breaking Down the subject of Paintwork

PostPost by: scottlong1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:04 am

Just to throw something else in the ring, I had my shell stripped with 'K2'. Potassium I was told. The fellow who did the work gave me the option of soda or K2, with the soda being about 2-3 times the price. The result was pretty good, a bit rough to the touch, but it didnt seem to erode the gel. I haven't experienced a soda blasted shell so I can't say if the savings were worth it. The fellow did vettes with it that he restored. As for leaving old paint it seems like a gamble unless you know for sure what it is. be a shame to put in all that work and have the new paint react.
Scott
69 dhc
scottlong1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jayson42 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Bit late but from the K2 brochure-

These same tests also conclude that “K2-STRIP” will leave a slightly increased profile without pitting the metal. Although not recommended for use on fiberglass, plastic, aluminum or other soft substrates, this new media will allow for a significant reduction in the time required to remove coating off metals.
Jayson42
New-tral

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:05 am

A thread from the past, but relevant to me. I am faced with stripping the paint of my Sprint.

I am a big fan of mechanical help, and soda blasting was going to be my method of choice. I have however recently visited Option 1 (seats retrimmed), and Spyder (new stainless ladder frames) and both advised against soda blasting. I knew that Option 1 had always been an advocate of scraping the paint off, but I had understood that Spyder used blasting. Spyder said they have changed their approach as the rectification required after blasting was greater than the time taken to scrape the paint off manually.

I guess I will be sharpening my chisels.

On the subject of warming the body to encourage drying out, I have just purchased a couple of these:

https://www.networldsports.co.uk/harrier-rounded-standing-patio-heater.html

Its not going to rival a heated spray booth at a bodyshop, but I would imagine that a booth at a bodyshop is in high demand, whereas I can afford to leave the car for longer periods being warmed. If the idea doesn't work, I can always use them on my terrace.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:48 pm

scottlong1 above is me. I forgot my snowyelan password so was using scottlong1 for a while. The K2 worked, but if I was going to do it again I would probably scrape and sand.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:59 pm

When I was working I saw soda blast used to remove paint/ink from a coke can. Very impressive!

My experience of blast cleaning in general is that the combination of media, pressure, and distance from the work piece can make a huge difference.

Having helped a friend strip his car I decided to pay.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lens4 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi. On a steel body shell soda leaves a coating that stops the metal rusting for a while, If it’s not washed of it interferes with the paint adhesion . I prefere to remove paint from fibreglass with a sharp wood chisel Len
Lens4
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: