Bumper colour, sunvisors, mirror and Super Safety info

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:01 am

robcall wrote:
elansprint71 wrote: the Pistachio colour only appeared on the Sprint, either in all-over or over-white forms.

Hi Pete-according to my records Pistachio was available October 1970-I presume still post-dates this particular car tho' :lol:

Yes from October 1970, the date when the Sprint was announced, although none were available until January 71. I suppose someone might have ordered it on a Pistachio S4 but at that time I think they were not selling anything and were converting S4s to Sprints due to dealer pressure.
btw, I think this and Colorado Orange (another minority choice) look great on the Elan.

Cheers,
pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 pm

John -

The original silver looked like teslors model paint.... I skipped buying the 10 or so little bottles in favor of perusing the PPG catalog. I have included pictures of the last two silvers I used.

I think shooting a Base / Clear might be get you closer to the factory job, however, I like to torment myself by shooting single stage metallic....

George
Attachments
red-dmc983.JPG and
PPG concept DCC - DMC 983 - the silver particles are milled coarse , BTW I think this makes a great silver for the hardtop of elite/+2 two tone option.
Blue-DMC981.JPG and
PPG concept DCC - DMC 981 - the silver particles are milled fine - makes the silver darker
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 pm

Mark - the demister grille was used on the Zephyr Mk III first. My father had one and I remember being delighted that our car had a little piece of GT40 in it! And thanks for those SS pics.

Christian - will check the engine number tomorrow. That same number does appear in the registration document but the registration date is given as June 1968. Given that the S4 had already been announced by then it suggests that whoever originally bought my car new, probably as a kit, took a while to finish it.

Pete - I know the Pistachio isn't original but I, too, think it suits well and I'll keep it that colour. I haven't yet discovered what colour it was originally.

Nigel - Interesting with the silver bumpers and wheels... I still think I'll repaint the bumpers but am undecided about the wheels. The black looks dramatically stark against the Pistachio but the silver would show the design of the wheels and their holes better.

George - thanks for the silver info. Clear lacquer it shall be, I think.

While I ponder all this, tomorrow I shall adjust a front wheel bearing and investigate the handbrake's hopelessness (even by Elan standards).

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: