Ashtray positions on early series 1 Elans

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Sorry for the delay - I just moved office - so no computer where I can dock the camera. I hope I'll be fully online on monday. Photo is ready - just needs posting.

Anna :roll:
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:25 am

John

If you are still on this thread!

I am still a sectarian - late 60's - it looks like you purchased your car in the same month that mine arrived in vancouver from the factory. I have the origional factory invoice for the sale to me.

A dealership did establish in Toronto in the spring of '64 - it took a lot of convinsing the factory to supply me spares direct - they had a problem understanding that altho the Toronto dealer was 4000miles away from me that I shouldn't go thru them.

I have a 65 S2 to restore as well but I think I will wait 'till I am your age before I tackle that one.

Bill
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:52 pm

...here we are:

The car has extended seat lenght and look at the original gear knob!
That car is one owner since 1971 :D

Anna
Attachments
S3 with S1 console.jpg and
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JKING » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Bill
You had better coat all of the metal parts of your S2 with cosmolene or something so that they don't rust away before you reach my age.

Rebuilding my Elan seems to go in 20 year cycles. I did a body off rebuild in my sexagenarian days and now again twenty odd years later. The first time was to repair storm damage, it went through hurricane Hugo, and general engine rebuild, and this last time for major engine rebuild and adding stuff like CV joint half shafts, cassette water pump and sleeving the cylinders. So I wonder if I'll be able to get parts when I'm a centenarian.

Since this is an ash tray thread I'll just add that, as a non-smoker, I removed the ash trays from the door panels 20 years ago. At that time I built a new instrument panel and replaced the lighter with a cooling fan switch.
John
63 Elan 260146
JKING
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 am

I'll add there's a terrific potential map/anything cubby space below the ashtray armrest when it's removed. Mine holds flashlights, sunglasses, and who knows what....

Reformed NonSmoker Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:50 am

1964 S1 wrote:I'll add there's a terrific potential map/anything cubby space below the ashtray armrest when it's removed. Mine holds flashlights, sunglasses, and who knows what....

Reformed NonSmoker Eric

That's where I kept the 11 x 17 copy of the wiring diagram for the S4 along with a local map. The ohm meter was kept in the glove box.

Gary

Never needed the wiring diagram though...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Just looking at the Ross / Robinshaw book and on p 114 it shows an S1 console with the ashtray fitted....looks the same place as Anna's photo.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gearhead Schmearhead » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:14 am

Hi, I realize I'm about five years behind here on the topic, but, I have in my garage the Elan my dad bought new in 1964, with a complete original interior. Dad's car is unit #3397, and he received it on July 24, 1964 (I just took a look at the logbook he keeps in it, he's an obsessively meticulous record keeper). I'm just wrapping up a semi-restoration; there were a number of issues that had to be attended to, but I have done my best not to molest the car.

The interior of his car has the gray "elephant hide" rubber, black vinyl seats, and a charcoal gray tunnel cover with a rectangular "tray" around the shift knob, and no provision for an ashtray. The doors have off-white insert panels, with charcoal gray lower sections, roughly the same color as the tunnel cover. They have a ribbed pattern behind the grab handles, and each one has an ashtray insert.

Incidentally, Dad purchased his car at Lotus Southwest, which was in Texas: Dallas area, I believe (I guess they must have come into existence shortly after Bill got his car in Vancouver). He had them put "stage two" cams in it, so in the meantime, they gave him a RHD demonstrator to drive. He had asked a woman out on a date, and apparently really frightened her with the combination of spirited driving and her being on the "wrong side" of the car. However, he did not quite scare her off. She married the damn fool, and that is how my parents met.

Dad still has both the wife and the car.

If anyone is still reading this thread, I hope that is helpful.
Gearhead Schmearhead
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: