Conditioning old vinyl and plastic

PostPost by: jono » Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:26 am

The crash pad on my 1968 Plus 2 project is age embrittled and has cracked in one location from the corner of the demister vent.

Does anyone have any tips for 'feeding' the plastic to condition it and make it a bit more supple.

The vinyl seats could also do with some form of 'feeding' - likewise any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:37 am

I don't think it can be done, as Vinyl is not a natural material like leather. Happy to be proven wrong!

You might try cleaning it with Armour All. This will improve the appearance of the surface finish, especially on the seat material, and provide protection. I use this stuff: https://www.armorall.com/uk/product/arm ... semi-matt/
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:56 am

Take a look at "dashboard repair" on YouTube, there are a number of methods on there.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jonnyg » Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:47 pm

…or you could try Autoglym’s Vinyl and Rubber Care - it works well on various internal surfaces including vinyl seats, and on hoods and tonneau covers. But if the part is badly age-worn, then perhaps not so effective. Have a look at the advice on the Autoglym website, it’s quite helpful. Now if there was a foolproof way of achieving a lasting improvement in the appearance of the rocker switches on my S4, I’d love to know; that’s probably one for another thread - and there have been a few - but nothing I’ve tried has had a lasting restorative effect.
Jonathan Greenwood
Wimborne, Dorset
jonnyg
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: