Felt Chassis Saddle

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:37 am

I am struggling to fit the body to the chassis whilst including the saddle. The body goes down onto the chassis without the felt but not with the felt.

Brian Buckland says the felt can be replaced with neoprene, both Brian and the manual say the saddle should be held in place with adhesive. When I dismantled my car there was no sign of adhesive.

Brian also says the purpose of the felt is to stop vibration.

Do I need to fit the saddle? Has anyone left the saddle out, and does this cause vibration?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:26 am

I would use some closed cell foam, something that won't absorb oil/water/detritus.
It sounds like you need a thinner layer than the existing felt. I would be loath to run a road car without something there
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:26 am

Just buy a neopene camping mat from Go Outdoors or The Range for less than a tenner and use that.

Stick it on with spray contact adhesive and get it nice and tight. The body needs pushing down a bit but it will go and it makes a nice snug fit. The yellow stuff is just waxoyl that I liberally applied along the chassis seams.
Attachments
P1150481 (Copy).jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:46 pm

Hi

I looked into this thinking that there must be a better more modern alternative but ended up ordering the standard felt from Susan Miller.

Im surprised the body will not go down over it. Are you sure it wont?

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:47 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice, and I have found my problem, which is nothing to do with the felt. I had left a couple of loose bolts through the body at the bottom bracket of the dashboard, they were just there to stop the dash from moving about as I installed it and of course I had forgotten to remove them. What confused me was that they seemed to drop into the tapped holes in the chassis without the felt saddle, but not with the saddle.

Richard Hawkins (embarrassed)
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:47 pm

When ever I carry out a chassis change now, I cut the felt 2" above the horizontal rail. I have seen to many chassis' rotted out in that area where the felt gets wet, stays wet, and rusts the chassis. The felt is not in contact with the body at that point anyway.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:24 am

Having replaced chassis with large amounts of tunnel rust in 2 of my 6 Elans, and repairing rust in the tunnel area on two, I stopped replacing the felt altogether (more like horsehair on the early cars). There are modern, thinner, adhesive backed acoustic/heat resistant products available these days which will do an equal/beter job of sound/heat attenuation and don't hold moisture at all. And you can use them in the tunnel area or in the passenger compartment. No way I'd use the original product again.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:43 am

Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Leslie & Graeme,

Thanks for the advice, I have cut the felt short, but think I will try the rubber option. Not sure there is room for
10mm though.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:02 pm

Steve,

Old man error, I forgot to include you for suggesting the rubber option.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:20 am

RichardHawkins wrote:Leslie & Graeme,

Thanks for the advice, I have cut the felt short, but think I will try the rubber option. Not sure there is room for
10mm though.

Richard Hawkins

They do a 6mm one too. I was guessing on the felt depth as it's been a while
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:44 pm

Thanks for the help everyone, I bought 9mm and 6mm foam rubber sheet, and today I have lowered the body onto the chassis using the 9mm. I have most of the bolts in, but am struggling with the 3/8”UNF that is tapped into the chassis at the base of the dashboard on the left hand side. Hopefully I don’t have to remove the body again.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:48 pm

Richard
When you say you are having problems with the left hand 3/8 UNF, what exactly is the issue, is ihe bolt not going in far enough, that the threads are defective or that the body is not aligning with the body correctly. Try using a spike of some sort or a fine screw driver to see if the holes are in alignment as a first step, if not it may mean pulling the body up a small amount and start all of the bolts without screwing them down tightly to ensure all the holes are correctly lined up, before final tightening
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Aug 19, 2024 4:46 am

If the misalignment is small then grinding a point onto the bolt can help getting it aligned and the thread started.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:28 pm

Tony,

My difficulty is with misalignment of body with chassis after painting. I have managed to fit this bolt without the dashboard, but could not move it enough now the dash is in place. Poor access and lack of strength.

From underneath the car I have screwed a 3/8” UNF hex head set screw up through the chassis and into the bobbin, forcing the bobbin to move into alignment. I then tightened the drivers side bolt to hold the chassis and body together, removed the set screw from underneath, and put a bolt in the hole from the top where the set screw had been. The bolt was a bit tight but went in.

Thanks everyone for help and advice,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: