Cant rails stowage strap??

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Anyone have pics of how the stowage strap in the boot should attach? I have the end that attaches at the lid brace end but that is all.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Kurt, I don't have any of that and am looking forward to seeing the solution. Could you post a picture of what you do have. Is the webbing rubber of just a web strap? All I have ever seen is the drawing in the early workshop/parts manual. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:45 pm

If you locate a member on here who goes by the name of quart meg miles?
He has the original brackets / fixings in the boot of his S1 .
I bought a pair of cant rails off him at Goodwood several years ago and he showed me how and where the cant rails were stored within his very original S1 .

I need a pair of these fixings also , any body reproducing them ?
greg40green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:17 am

The other end of the strap clamps under the HOOD RAIL CATCH bolts on the other side. They're the small pair of bolts on the right over a little bracket which traps the strap. [Edited Meg]

Elan 26 boot top left front 209_9197.JPG and

I cut my strap off as I had never stored my cant rails, or anything else, under it and it was in the way..

I tuck the rails where the rolled-up hood is supposed to be above the rear lamps with the vertical elements lying in the spaces behind the wheel arches. But I don't think you can do that if you still have the rain guides attached, which I don't. I have rain gullies stitched in to my hood and the hood behind the side window wraps round and clips to the cant rails by Velcro.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:36 pm

This post is just to notify that the above post has been edited dramatically! :oops:
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:19 am

Thank you Meg.
I notice that you have a antenna going through what I wondered was a factory antenna hole. At least that is where I had a hole that I filled.

I wonder if that system worked that well to hold the cant rails anyway. I have the large cup that is supplied with the top rail hooks already fitted and might not bother making up that bracket.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:26 am

Gary, as I remember the webbing was similiar to a springy reinforced rubber strap that was common on chairs in the 60's. If Meg doesn't beat me to it I'll try to load a pic of what I have but won't be till after Christmas.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:21 pm

I agree with Kurt, it was a rubberised strap used on upholstery. I don.t know whether it was supposed to be tight or loose, some original owners might remember, and as I never had an owner's handbook I didn't know what it was for.

The aerial was already fitted when I bought the car. I'm tired of it whistling at high speeds and want to take it off but it's a big sunken pit under the aerial (or is it a raised dome) with cracked paint and glass so needs a wide cover.or proper glassing.

What's the modern equivalent of Cirrus White paint in the UK?
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: