(un)Pimping a Toad

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am

Toad is looking OK now -

379-sep.-09-11.52.jpg and

But, in direct sunlight, the roof looks rather too sparkly!

377-sep.-09-11.50.jpg and

I'm told a good match to the original is Volkswagen Golf Silver? If so , which one?
Or is there a better alternative.

You may also notice that the screen is incorrectly surrounded by the earlier type rubber extrusion. (It took me a long time to notice!) Am I correct in assuming -

A/ The screen is the same for both bonded and nonbonded?
B/ The difference is in the body apperture hole size.
C/ Therefore the body has been "skillfully" butchered (seems unlikely?) to allow the screen to fit inside OR the rubber is simply stuck on to the top to act as a trim.

The original surrounds are unobtainium?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Vince, from what I have read in the past, I think a, b and c are correct.

You are also missing the two rain gutter trims that sit over the door apertures. Zoom in on this and you will se the passenger side trim.

img_4278.jpg and

The later ones like mine are polished aluminium, earlier are chromed brass.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Instructions for replicating the metal flake finish on the roof are in the Plus 2 workshop manual section 'B47 - Roof Refinishing (in gold or silver metallic flake)' - Page 61 in the 'Body' section.
I could post a picture/scan if you want....
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:02 pm

JonB wrote:Vince, from what I have read in the past, I think a, b and c are correct.
You are also missing the two rain gutter trims that sit over the door apertures. Zoom in on this and you will se the passenger side trim.

But if C is correct have they been, (you know who), been crude enough to cut the body about? And why would they do that? 'Cos it's cheaper and easier than doing it properly?

The rain gutters are present. Even I would have noticed them. They are just lost in the general sparkle.
s2810007.jpg and

Matt Elan wrote:Instructions for replicating the metal flake finish on the roof are in the Plus 2 workshop manual section 'B47 - Roof Refinishing (in gold or silver metallic flake)' - Page 61 in the 'Body' section.
I could post a picture/scan if you want....

Cheers, I've found it but spraying gelcoat is not something I intend to attempt! :)

Paul Matty told be about the VW Silver, I'm just not sure which one.

Actually Jon if you could just cut a bit out of your roof I could have it analysed!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:33 pm

To be fair, we don't know what it was like prior to restoration. Or do we?

I'm no expert but I have read on here that you have to modify the opening to fit the rubber trim. If that's true it may be tricky to revert the damage.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 am

I think Mr Chapman would have been very pleased with your roof!
The metalflake roof is a bit '70s but then so is the car. The silver painted roofs always look to me that someone hasn't gone to the trouble of replicating the original finish, (which did yellow badly).
There is a lot of talk about metalflake being in or under the gel coat which wasn't the case with mine (and since I've had it since it was four years old can vouch for the originality of the finish). The metalflake was sprayed on, with clear cellulose on top. When I stripped the paint, you could see that they sprayed the metalflake first, without even masking the body, as there were traces of metalflake all around the perimeter of the roof under the original primer on the bare gelcoat!
One problem however IMHO is that the silver metalflake doesn't go well with yellow, I put up with that combination for 30 years then changed to lagoon blue which I think goes well with the silver.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 am

vincereynard wrote:Actually Jon if you could just cut a bit out of your roof I could have it analysed!

Wouldn't help I think - it's a proper metal flake finish that appears non original but was done very well according (said Wiggy, when he saw it). I haven't seen many other cars myself though; in fact Toad's the only one I've seen in the flesh with a flake roof, apart from mine.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:37 pm

JonB wrote:I'm no expert but I have read on here that you have to modify the opening to fit the rubber trim. If that's true it may be tricky to revert the damage.

An interesting Winter project then!

dougal9887 wrote:One problem however IMHO is that the silver metalflake doesn't go well with yellow, I put up with that combination for 30 years then changed to lagoon blue which I think goes well with the silver.
Dougal.

It is a bit OTT. When it was advertised it just looked silver grey so it came as a bit of a "blimey" moment when I saw it for real. Then I didn't mind, now I think I would like to calm it a bit. As it happens it looks like the screens are coming out anyway so it would be a good opportunity.

Hindsight is a wondrous thing and close inspection has shown that it could have been done better "at the joins". The P.O. assurance that it was original is tempered by the knowledge he was a stranger to truth in many other issues.

I'm sure a close approximation of the original cannot be that difficult. Assuming there was "an original". Maybe most were a bit different. I know they had a lot of problems.

I need a couple of good images of original roofs!

Paul Matty told me that they sprayed a base colour and then the flake. Depending on how dry the base was effected whether the flake stood up or lay down. And hence the colour and sparkliness. Paul was also the source of the VW Golf silver suggestion. They look a bit flat to me!

('Course I could just paint it yellow!)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 pm

But if C is correct have they been, (you know who), been crude enough to cut the body about? And why would they do that? 'Cos it's cheaper and easier than doing it properly?

Most of Spyder's own Zetec cars seem to have the early rubber surround, even if they would have had the bonded screen originally, they seem to prefer to convert them...

Best option was if you could find one of the polished stainless surrounds from the +2S, it's the same shape as the bonded trim but uses a rubber. They are a bit rare though.

I would imagine it to be nigh-on impossible to re-create the bonded screen aperture with any strength, details of the differences here:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-chassis-f36/windscreen-bonded-not-t20353.html

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:54 am

Robbie693 wrote:Most of Spyder's own Zetec cars seem to have the early rubber surround, even if they would have had the bonded screen originally, they seem to prefer to convert them...
Robbie

I imagine this is because it is easier to fit the rubber surround than the bonded screen (and get a half decent result).

Vince, I have tried to take some pictures of my roof this morning. They didn't come out that well as the car is garaged. Despite the slightly dark appearance, I can assure you it is all bright silver. Any yellowing you may see is caused by the colour of reflected light, not the lacquer (which I read can go yellowy over time - not that I have ever seen it happen myself). These are high resolution pictures so you should be able to click on each to get a close look. Note the grain of the flake on the closeup of the offside B pillar (first picture). It's relatively sparse compared you yours - by accident or design.

For reference there is a picture of my front screen trim. This is the plastic trim with the foil insert, but the corner trim is the old Classic Capri piece, squashed to better fit the curved profile of the plastic trim. It isn't a great fit, but then I'm not terribly precious about it. Lots more to worry about on this car!

The best way to compare roof paint is to bring Toad down and see for yourself. That's an invite, by the way! I can't see myself bringing it your way until I have sorted the suspension rattle and other issues.
Attachments
902e3853-b6a6-4e42-9a8a-a6328667993c.jpeg and
e8ee61bc-961c-459c-b592-28f351c6b5de.jpeg and
18de2bc6-cf51-4e83-bebf-ec0657b5314b.jpeg and
2b380d57-4701-486f-afe8-7a91f0c1e3a1.jpeg and
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:51 pm

dougal9887 wrote: One problem however IMHO is that the silver metalflake doesn't go well with yellow

As the owner of an L07 car, I have to agree the silver doesn't work with it, unlike the darker colours, but clearly it's a matter of taste.

Interestingly, my Oct 72 car may have been ordered without the silver roof, which I believe was possible if you didn't want one, as when the car was restored there is no trace of any metalflake in or around the roof. This may possibly be as it has a dealer fit Weathershield sunroof, which looks wholly contemporary, and I wonder whether the original owner planned a sunroof from the outset and realised it would look very odd having a big black square in the centre of a silver roof on a yellow car. :roll:
Attachments
img_20180816_191432.jpg and
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:16 pm

JonB wrote:The best way to compare roof paint is to bring Toad down and see for yourself. That's an invite, by the way! I can't see myself bringing it your way until I have sorted the suspension rattle and other issues.

Thanks Jon. Now I have a little more faith in it perhaps. You will have to EMail me an address.

M.J.S wrote:As the owner of an L07 car, I have to agree the silver doesn't work with it, unlike the darker colours, but clearly it's a matter of taste.

I must admit I like the silver roof. IMO a straight L07 makes it look a bit toy like. The silver stretches the outline a bit. Some people even think it folds Merc SL style!!

It just needs to be a little, (a lot actually), more subtle.

With perhaps a single silver coachline??
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:07 pm

I think a silver coach line might be lost, but if it's a stick on thing, why not try it? While you're at it, you might try running a line around the joins (where the silver roof meets the yellow body). It's surprising how much small details like this improve the looks of a car.

I sent an address, by the way, and a more interesting route, if you fancy a nice drive. Much more interesting than the motorway and not a great deal slower according to google maps.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:54 pm

JonB wrote:I think a silver coach line might be lost, but if it's a stick on thing, why not try it? While you're at it, you might try running a line around the joins (where the silver roof meets the yellow body). It's surprising how much small details like this improve the looks of a car.

I hope Rob will chime-in on this. His car has a piece of chrome trim on the border between the silver roof and the rest of the car, and having seen it in person a few months ago, I'll vouch that it really looks great and sets off the difference between the two paints quite attractively.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm

One potential approach is to have the roof "wrapped" with a slightly less shiny silver finish or other colour that takes your fancy.

Should give the desired effect for relatively little out lay of money. If you don't like the result easy to remove or have done in different finish. If you like the finish at some point in the future you could have it painted instead of the wrap.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: