Bonnet bobbin threads

PostPost by: Nic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi, can anyone confirm what the thread is in the bonnet bobbins (bonnet bolt). I need to get a helicoil repair kit as there is just an oversized hole in the body bobbin.
Nic
Nic
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Nik- They are 1/4-20 threads.

Try to get a long helicoil with as much thread area as possible. The bobbins in the body, the bobbins in the bonnet, and the bolts are the "hinge" and work every time the bonnet is opened. The bolt should be fully threaded and long enough to go into the body bobbin at least 1/2 to 5/8. That bolt isn't called out specifically in the parts manual but it should be. Too short a bolt and you end up with what you have.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:11 pm

Many thanks Bud
Nic
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:15 pm

I think I fitted 2" bolts. I found both the bobbins on my car were not threaded so went for a none fully threaded bolt and nut on the engine bay side.

Not sure if the bobbins were original thread and modified by a PO or not but I'd check yours first.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Nic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:22 pm

The holes on my body bobbins are excessively large, perhaps they had an insert that fell out at some time in the past? I was planning on sleeving these with alumininium dowels ( which I will helicoil) and will use a permanent lock-tight on the dowels
Nic
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:46 pm

All four bobbins, body and bonnet, were originally fully threaded. The alignment of the bonnet, side to side, is maintained by the bolts and the number of threads in the open area between the body and bonnet. Works the same way as the the "hinges" on the light pods. Added lightness- no hinges and no washers. Some say cheap, and some genius. :lol:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:40 am

Yup; well put, Bud.

I would say "genius", but the bonnet is a royal pain to re-install and get centered. Made up various jigs, but it's still a royal pain. :mrgreen:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 am

As the threads stripped out on the bonnet or wheel arch of my Plus 2 I just left them out and fitted a bolt and nut
Once you have one threaded or none threaded on each side it becomes much easier to centre the bonnet in the opening than with both the bonnet and wheel arch threads all still in place.

Having bolts turn in threaded Bobbins is also a strange practice even if it did save the weight and cost of a nut ( at the expense of tapping the bobbins). Much better to lock it in a threaded Bobbin and have it turn in a plain Bobbin.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Yes; agreed, Rohan.

Interesting, though, that when both bobbins on a side are threaded, you have a built in spacing device which keeps the bonnet centered where you put it (otherwise, you'd need washers/spacers between bonnet and wing). Though even more interestingly, the bonnet actually shifts from one side to the other a little when it's raised, as the bonnet travels a quarter turn along the threads of the two mounting bolts. Same with the headlamp bowls. Crazy!
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 pm

I dont use spacer washers. I rely on setting up the bolts on either side so they stop the bonnet moving in tension.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:06 pm

My 1969 powerbulge +2S bonnet has 5/16 UNC bobbins in the bonnet and wings, I have an early +2 flat bonnet which is the more familiar 1/4 UNC and a modern reproduction that also came with 1/4 UNC.

I have the modern replacement fitted at the moment and agonised at what to do to fix it in place, but in the end I just used longer bolts and nuts as per Rohan's solution.

For information: The originals are far better quality than the reproduction, but the new ones do add lightness being quite flimsy.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: