Plus 2 bonnet catch location

PostPost by: Jonners » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello All

I had a problem with our Plus 2 recently. After standing idle for a while the bonnet wouldn't release. The N/S (rhd car) catch wouldn't release. I found a great suggestion somewhere on the web - maybe on this site? - and removed the glove box and (in short) managed to operate the catch with a bent screwdriver through the bulkhead.

I was so happy with the outcome (having feared the worst) that I did the usual thing we all do and started taking everything apart in order to investigate and lubricate. You know how it is....

Anyway, I removed the (female) catches from the engine bay. They say on some very very rudimentary wooden blocks that we think date back to the car's original assembly. I wasn't worried about the fact these blocks fell apart as I had seen a nice drawing somewhere that confirmed the correct dimensions for these blocks. I thought the drawing was in the repair manual but I'm damned if I can find it.

Am I going mad? Can anyone tell me if these is such a drawing and where to find it - please???

We want to make better blocks - probably in aluminium but having the drawing as a started will save a lot of grief!!

Thanks chaps - it's nice to be on board on here!!
Jonners
New-tral

PostPost by: NedK » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi

Mine are wood, and split. I think rubber might be a good replacement.

Here's a sketch of the dimensions of mine. The three holes are placed to match the backing plate behind the bulkhead, and it looks like they are fairly roughly placed. As long as they are in range for the oval cutouts in the bracket itself, I guess it's ok.

bonnet catch wedge.jpg and

Dimensions in mm

Hope this helps
Ned
+2S 1969 50/2283
NedK
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi Jonners,
I have also replaced the wooden mounting blocks on my Plus 2 - bought a pair of ali ones from Spyder. Definitely worth it.

Martin
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jonners » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Thank you both for those replies - tempted just to call Spyder but equally tempted still to make our own!!! It's academic now thanks to your help but I just can't work out whether I ever did see a drawing somewhere in a handbook/manual or did I imagine it?
Jonners
New-tral

Total Online: