Help selecting a Hood? (Roof ;) )

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi all.

I'm at that point in my rebuild that i need to make a decision what S4/Sprint Hood to buy? (Everflex or Mohair) and could do with your opinions.

I've done a fair bit of reading up on the subject and it seems to be drawn between the Purists and people not so concerned with the "Original" look. The thing that really worries me is after talking to a Trimmer (who will probably be fitting it for me :) ) he said the Mohair tops tend to shrink quite a bit the first time it gets wet and dries, so would the screen surround be up to the job? (i have no screen in at the moment and its not exactly strong)

I am kinda leaning towards the Sue Miller Mohair but does anyone have one that could take some Pictures just as an idea of the rear Window shape, seal round the doors and the type of stitching etc?

Also i'm told the Tenax studs i need are 5/8" 2BA / 1" 2BA and the 5/8 studs arn't made any more? but i found these are they the correct ones? http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/info_18-5-8-1BA.html they appear the be Nickel plated as the originals but i thought i'd ask in case there is some thing obviously different i'm missing.

Cheers :)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I much prefer the Everflex hood for a couple of reasons. First, they look correct on the Elan, as that's what they had originally, and of course, they don't fade. Second, if a cat gets to sit on your Mohair hood, he won't be able to resist trying out his claws on the nice fabric surface!

The Everflex hood does shrink as well. I had one fitted to my E Type recently (everybody else has a Mohair one!) and after the hood was roughly in shape and put up, the trimmer boiled a kettle of water in the car for 30 minutes or so to soak the hood through. Note that you have to cover the dash and the rest of the upholstery with plastic sheeting and blankets before doing this! It's then left for a couple of days to dry out naturally, and then the final fitting made.

It is still at tight as a drum after 2 years, but easy to put up.....it fits properly, and it isn't going to shrink..

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:33 am

Salut

My soft top is a +2 but I'd agree with Mark for the Elan. I can also confirm that cats like mohair.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:41 am

Woolies list 2BA tenax studs http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1508-te ... tener.aspx
Cheers
John
elanman999
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:53 am

Hi

I always thought Susan (Mick Miller) only sold the correct Everflex, I didn't know she also did mohair too!

She has everything you will need including the correct tenax fittings & if you need it, the decal that explains how to raise it & how to stow it (goes on the "hood tray", if you have not got one).

I agree with Mark, in that the original Everflex looks right" on an ?lan! (IMHO). Mohair is a very nice look but does not seem right to me on an ?lan.

Good luck with whatever you choose & fit.

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks guys, looks like i'm going to go with the Sue Miller Everflex :D

Adam, i've not spoken to Sue about this yet but i have her Catalogue which states the Tenax pegs are only available in 1" shank (i don't really want to cut them as there Nickel plated) and both the Everflex and Mohair are listed in there with the matching covers.

Cheers.
Chris
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Question for the group on the best way to install the hood. My last hood was permanently installed by the 6 or so center studs, and the 4 or 5 on each side allowed it to be detached and folded under the hood stowage cover. It was a fairly tight fit under there. What about not permanently installing the center section and allowing it to be completely removed when not in use? It would seem a better way to go. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:33 pm

I have a Sue Miller mohair roof on my very non standard S4. What I will say regarding the hood notwithstanding it's original or not factor is that it is extremely good quality and fits beautifully. The lip that fits into the top of the screen is really good and makes a tight secure fit that's safe at over 90 mph in Germany and up to the legal limit of 70 in this country. I only put it up when it rains, so who cares whether it's vinyl or not, anoraks don't get to see it, they are too busy fastening their own hoods :lol:

Seriously:
If fitting the hood yourself, the mohair variety are less affected by ambient temperature and therefore you can get a good fit on a cool day that still looks good on a hot day.

I would recommend making the hood completely removable and store it in the boot when not in use, Sue Miller sells a hood envelope for boot storage just for this purpose, much better than squashing everything below the hood frame cover and saves the rear screen from creasing if you don't quite fold it correctly.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: