+2 130 self-opening bonnet

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm

I have an interesting issue with my new acquisition: +2S 130 with a bonnet that opens under hard acceleration! Sometimes one side only (usually the driver's side), sometimes both sides. A bit disconcerting when you're accelerating to join the motorway. I guess something is flexing ever so slightly, and - pop - the trailing edge of the bonnet is an inch higher...

The catches are the same as Alaric's in this thread:

body-chassis-frame-f36/1974-elan-s130-restoration-stuck-bonnet-t22284-15.html

Its difficult to see whether the catch is worn or just badly adjusted. Its also a bit tricky to test!

I can't find anything related via the search facility - anybody got any suggestions?
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Had the same problem at speed and found the arrow-heads on mine were a little worn,swapped sides ( L to R,R to L) adjusted and the problem was solved...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peter.moller040 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi

I had that problem with my old Elan S2 -65.
My solution was to coil one normal spring around the wire between the bulkhead and the "arrow-head".

/Peter :)
peter.moller040
New-tral

PostPost by: EPA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Remove both spring units from the bonnet and test if the bonnet sits correctly in place.When I had this problem I found that the edge was pushing down on cables coming through the bulkhead and was therefore being sprung back up. I also replaced the spring /arrowhead units with new ones from SJ Sportscars

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hartley hare » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm

hi there

the two bonnet catches are connected via a cable that is routed across the top of the engine,this is held in place sometimes by a "p" clip that is fixed to one of the cam cover studs.
check that the cable route is a smooth curve,and not snagging in the clip.

if it is.....it may be that the engine "twist" under acceleration is pulling on the cable,opening the catch...

just a thought.. :idea:
hartley hare
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

The cable run is nice and smooth, so I'm reasonably sure its not that.

There is a bit of wear on the arrow heads (bonnet-side) and it looks like a little on the metal hooks that engage with them (body side). I'm not sure its enough, but swapping side to side is a free fix, so I'll give that a go first!
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Same difficulty on mine. Bit of a shock when it pops for the first time at speed! :shock:

I just fiddled around with them vertically and side to side to get a reasonable compromise of being able to shut the bonnet and hold it down. That said, during some track activity last year the body was flexing sufficiently that we had to use tape to hold the bonnet down.

Question; do you have a wedge shaped piece of wood behind each of the catches? Hard for me to believe, but this a stock accoutrement of the adjustment system. :) Sean's pic's show them quite well; the thin edge of the wedge points down.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 am

stugilmour wrote:Question; do you have a wedge shaped piece of wood behind each of the catches? Hard for me to believe, but this a stock accoutrement of the adjustment system. :) Sean's pic's show them quite well; the thin edge of the wedge points down.

Thanks, Stu - I hadn't clocked that they are wedge-shaped, but yes I do have two bits of wood. Surely the wedge should be the other way around (ie widest at the bottom) to improve the angle of the catch? The arrow-heads are as near to vertical as makes no odds, I think.
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: