Thoughts?

PostPost by: Dantheelanman » Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:55 am

Hello, I'm new on the forum but have been looking for a fhc elan to restore.
This elan has been on the Internet just long enough to suggest it's a bit pricey or I'm missing something.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1768661

Dan
Dantheelanman
New-tral

PostPost by: Uturn » Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:41 am

Looks rough. Very rough for that asking price.

Seeing a nicer one for only £17k though it's a drop head. Easier and cheaper to keep a car on the road than to try to bring it back from the grave.
Uturn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:18 am

The engine has clearly been worked on, and given the dry sump and ported head, set up for competition. The remote brake reservoir and pedal box reinforcement would also indicate a competition background.

Without further details, its difficult to tell what else has been messed with, but making a competition car fit for the road can be an expensive proposition depending on how much needs to be replaced.

If a restored, relatively stock road car is your ultimate aim, then as Uturn suggests, a complete runner would probably be the best way to go as a basis.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:49 am

Can Elans be used in competition with a Spyder Chassis ???
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:26 am

There seems to be a floor for Elan prices at the moment, and this car is at it IMHO. I think the problem is, you don’t know if it’s complete, because many parts are not fitted. If you’re not an Elan expert, it’d be easy to overlook the absence of a critical part.

For example, I payed a bit more than that for a DHC in need of a full restoration about a year and a half ago, but it was in one piece so I could evaluate it easily. I found it honest and highly original. The only missing part was the hood, but that would have been replaced anyway.

Prices have obviously softened a bit since then. I’d be concerned by lack of originality, and that the cost to restore (exorbitant) and the purchase price summed is well over its value in today’s market.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:04 am

alan.barker wrote:Can Elans be used in competition with a Spyder Chassis ???
Alan

Depends on the series, and how much modification is allowed. These days it seems organisers are much more restrictive than in the past. The series I race(d) in, would not allow it.
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:24 am

I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but if the OP's aim is to end up with a restored car to drive, rather than the pleasure of the restoration itself, then in the current market it would make much more financial sense to buy a car that has already been restored.

While flicking through the channels a couple of days ago I came across a restoration programme 'bangers and cash'. I wouldn't recommend the programme, but they did a chequebook restoration on a very ratty old late 60s Mini Cooper. Total restoration costs plus purchase price £69K, sold at auction for £31K.

The only way to make money restoring old cars is to have someone else pay for it.
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobertMaulden » Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:46 am

A dry sump, professionally built competition engine, with a vented oil filler cap, & no oil catch tank for the bottom & top end breathing? S1 lamps on the rear end?
RobertMaulden
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: