Elan Rear, Side and Front cage

PostPost by: gav » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:15 pm

Hi all

I have surplus to requirements a safety devices rear cage with side intrusion bars and a front cage that are up for sale. They are for the Elan not the Plus 2.

The rear cage could do with a coat of paint and has in the past received an additional bush for a top seat belt on the drivers side (not by me). It isnt pretty and if I were going to use it, Id replace that bush with a neater insert and have the welding done neatly. That said, it is very usable and is being sold as a unit comprising the rear hoop and side bars for £375

The front cage looks to be a different design and whilst I have the weld on tags to join it to a rear hoop, they arent a great fit and I might source a different pair if the rear hoop didnt have the half mounting already fixed. Included is the bar that runs across the top of the screen but no dash bar. The front cage is £200

I am happy to sell the front and rear together as one lot for £550

Located near Watford in Herts.

Any questions, please feel free to PM

Thanks for looking
Gavin
Attachments
Elan Front cage 1.jpg and
Front cage with the rear fixing point sitting on the floor
Elan rear hoop and side bars.jpg and
Rear cage and side intrusion bars
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: IainP » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:48 pm

Could be interested in the side bars..if available separately?
IainP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:13 pm

Hi Iain

Thanks for the contact.

I’d prefer to sell the rear hoop and the side bars as one but I’ll bear your thinking in mind if it doesn’t pan out the way I was aiming.

All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: IainP » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:15 pm

No problem. I understand your thinking too.
IainP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:24 pm

I’m interested but not sure if the cost or brave of having you ship would be worth it. I’m in California
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:29 pm

2mAn wrote:I’m interested but not sure if the cost or brave of having you ship would be worth it. I’m in California

Given the weather at the moment in the UK, I wish I was in California.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pianoderby » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:10 pm

It’s grey and raining here in California. I thought about inquiring about the cage as well, but the cost and hassle of shipping might not be worth it. All of my interior is out though, so now might be the right time!
pianoderby
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:50 pm

Hi Simon
Well this could be exciting - might I suggest that I lay out the components and see what space they might take. I can also give you a rough idea of the likely weight so armed with an overall dimension and weight, you can see what it might cost to transport.
I think that the front sections will make the packaging surprisingly large so I’ll do a comparison with just the rear and side bars so that you can compare.
Im running around at the moment but will have a go tomorrow.
I suggest that if it works for you, I can package but I’d ask you to arrange the transport if that’s ok.
All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:13 pm

Elan Rear and side cage.jpg and
Rear and side
Elan Rear, side and front cage.jpg and
Front, rear and side
OK Simon - here's the result -

The rear and side cage weigh around 15.6 kilos plus any packaging on top.

Measured as the photo they are roughly 1.3 x 1 x 0.3m plus any packaging.

If you add the front cage as well, the weight becomes just under 30 kilos plus any packaging and the sizes as the second photo becomes 1.4 x 1.0 x 0.5m

To be honest I dont know how best to package it. My instinct is some bubble wrap around the sharp bits and some tye wraps to hold the loose elements together. The difficulty is that the front cage is shaped and with the angled feet that fit onto the chassis web, they quickly become sharp and unwealdy.

Have a think and let me know what you would like to do. I am based in Hertfordshire UK.

All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: