Lotus Elan

Cosworth YB Turbo Into Elan

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 am

Screw the purists. I think your way past that point Steve :mrgreen: Keep up the great work!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
User avatar
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Location: Princeton, NJ

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Certified Lotus wrote:Screw the purists. I think your way past that point Steve :mrgreen: Keep up the great work!


Cheers :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Location: Essex, England

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:24 pm

I had a little 'issue' with the centre console. I cut a hole for the habdbrake lever to fit through and then realised (although it had crossed my mind during the console build) that, as the console can only be removed vertically, the lever is in the way! A longer slot would work but that would look like a bodge, which it would be. After a little thought the solution was to make the lever removable, or at least enough of it to allow the removal of the console.

A few design iterations resulted in a solution. Just need to get it welded (my TIG skills are still minimal) and tidied up.

A key mantra of mine is that any mods should make the new/replacement part lighter than the original, whenever possible. In this case a 115g, or 44%, reduction is pretty good. Once the carbon in sanded and painted you will not realise what it is :-)

Image

Image

Image

A small grub screw will secure handle to base.

Image

Image
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Location: Essex, England

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 pm

stevebroad wrote:
Certified Lotus wrote:Screw the purists. I think your way past that point Steve :mrgreen: Keep up the great work!


Cheers :-)


I really don't get their ire. For each of these cars that we modify, for whatever reason we chose to do it, their unmodified car becomes just more rare and potentially more valuable.

"The purest doth protest too much, methinks." :lol:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"Every Lotus that an owner modifies makes yours worth that much more." - You're welcome!
User avatar
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Location: Winnemucca, NV, USA

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Bud English wrote:
stevebroad wrote:
Certified Lotus wrote:Screw the purists. I think your way past that point Steve :mrgreen: Keep up the great work!


Cheers :-)


I really don't get their ire. For each of these cars that we modify, for whatever reason we chose to do it, their unmodified car becomes just more rare and potentially more valuable.

"The purest doth protest too much, methinks." :lol:


Good point, they should be encouraging me and others :-)

I have not had much negative reaction, at least not to my face, but my response is "what do you think Colin's reaction to my car would be?"
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Location: Essex, England

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:14 pm

I have not had much negative reaction, at least not to my face, but my response is "what do you think Colin's reaction to my car would be?


Something like this...

"Too bloody expensive, make it cheaper!"
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Maybe not. It is a performance car not a production car. I believe he only cheapened the production cars. :wink:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"Every Lotus that an owner modifies makes yours worth that much more." - You're welcome!
User avatar
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Location: Winnemucca, NV, USA

PostPost by: lotustastic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Steve,

that removable handbrake lever is a great solution, lightweight and beautiful to look at!

Kudos, Nice work!!!
lotustastic
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 08 Jan 2014
Location: Franklin, TN

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Bud English wrote:Maybe not. It is a performance car not a production car. I believe he only cheapened the production cars. :wink:


Yes , probably right there, he liked his toys! 8)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 pm

lotustastic wrote:Steve,

that removable handbrake lever is a great solution, lightweight and beautiful to look at!

Kudos, Nice work!!!


Thanks. I could have made it prettier and more shapely, but as the interior is a collection of flat panels and straight lines it would have looked out of place, IMO. Also simple is easier and quicker :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Location: Essex, England

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:47 pm

....remembers me of my original work: we once made a part (carbon/kevlar) for audi which mbb (yes the messerschmidt WWII chaps) made with honeycomb sandwiched with carbon: their part 330gr ours 180gr! AND the chief mechanic said it would fail: he came back after 2hrs with rohrl as driver and congratulated me: that was in Ingolstadt 1982 or 3?? our part had ribs and unidirectional! sandy ---- always looking for less weight: these days its my OWN body however!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Location: switzerland

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:53 pm

el-saturn wrote:....remembers me of my original work: we once made a part (carbon/kevlar) for audi which mbb (yes the messerschmidt WWII chaps) made with honeycomb sandwiched with carbon: their part 330gr ours 180gr! AND the chief mechanic said it would fail: he came back after 2hrs with rohrl as driver and congratulated me: that was in Ingolstadt 1982 or 3?? our part had ribs and unidirectional! sandy ---- always looking for less weight: these days its my OWN body however!!


Good job!

I will have to do a little weight reduction on my frame as well :-) I reckon I could lose 3-4kg without too much trouble - which is a hell of a lot of holes :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Location: Essex, England

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:45 am

Why have you fitted a handbrake Steve?
Do you live on a hill and park outside?
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
User avatar
bigvalvehead
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 542
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: Cardiff Wales

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 am

bigvalvehead wrote:Why have you fitted a handbrake Steve?
Do you live on a hill and park outside?
Cheers
Dave


Road car so presumably will need an MOT?
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2278
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:00 am

elanfan1 wrote:
bigvalvehead wrote:Why have you fitted a handbrake Steve?
Do you live on a hill and park outside?
Cheers
Dave


Road car so presumably will need an MOT?


Car needs to be road legal. Also, handbrake is handy when sprinting :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 931
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Location: Essex, England
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest