Zetec, exhaust modification question/proposition

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Hi Guys

I am having one of my more creative moments and was wondering is something such as the Dunnell RMP1801 - Exhaust Flanges was bought (see link below) it might with some welding and persuasion and fettling, allow the fitting of the standard twincam exhaust on the Zetec (2.0 blacktop in this case) head?

http://www.dunnellengines.com/zetec_com ... no=RMP1801

Or am I just being silly and it is totally not worth the effort even if it is possible?

I fully recognise that buying the new Spyder or Dunnell headers would be preferable.

Thoughts please!

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:14 pm

I used the Dunnell exhaust flange for my Plus2 conversion. The flange fits perfect, and the tubing fits easily inside the flange, with some moderate persuasion, to create a good match with the port. Bargain price IMHO, when you think of the time required to make something equal.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:39 pm

Hello Rob

Thank you that is great newsI Did you grind/cut the flanges off completely, or just grind them down so that they more closely fitted the ports in the Dunnell flange. It seems logical to grind the flanges to shape I think.

Wonder if anyone else has done this? I could not find any mention of it on the internet.

I shall order a flange tomorrow.......

Tks again

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:33 am

Hi Berni
Is the std exhaust narrower bore and so won't you lose some power?
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:54 pm

The opening in the flange is just a little bit larger than the port. Enough so, you can fit the exhaust tube into the flange and weld the tube to the flange on the head side of the flange. It will take some bending of the metal to go from the round tube to match the shape of the flange/port. Typical fussing around, but easy to do. I went a bit overboard, in making a form tool out of some round stock to stretch the metal to fit tightly in the flange. I was looking for the smoothest transition from the head to the exhaust. As mine was a Plus2, I routed the tubing forward of the engine mount, the alternator was relocated to the carb side, this made it possible to maintain the assembly as a single piece, easily removed from from the vehicle, without the usual shifting the engine. Since I was using an annular clutch release, I removed the slave cylinder ring from the clutch housing. This allowed significant additional room to keep the exhaust much higher than the original system. The only part of the exhaust that is lower than the bottom of the chassis, is where it dips below the trans tailshaft to go down the center of the chassis. Just my way of doing things.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:04 pm

mikealdren wrote:Hi Berni
Is the std exhaust narrower bore and so won't you lose some power?

Hi Mike

I was wondering about that. But for my purposes I do not think it will matter. The actual exhaust port is only marginally bigger than the twincam manifold pipe, so any losses I would expect to come only at the highest rpm. Also I am planning to use a custom plenum with a standard throttle body, MAF and Zetec 2.0 ECU, so I expect the engine to produce around the same power as standard i.e 130bhp or so, which is fine for me. It's the other qualities associated with fuel injection that I am after.

I also have some GSXR600 throttle bodies which I intend to put on my twincam engine when the time comes. I could put those on the Zetec I suppose. I have the ST170 manifold which they would attach nicely to. I would have to look into the options of either running an aftermarket ECU, or a MAF/MAP setup with a standard Ford ECU of some type. That setup on the Zetec would give a fair bit more power.

Decisions, decisions..........

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:10 pm

prezoom wrote:The opening in the flange is just a little bit larger than the port. Enough so, you can fit the exhaust tube into the flange and weld the tube to the flange on the head side of the flange. It will take some bending of the metal to go from the round tube to match the shape of the flange/port. Typical fussing around, but easy to do. I went a bit overboard, in making a form tool out of some round stock to stretch the metal to fit tightly in the flange. I was looking for the smoothest transition from the head to the exhaust. As mine was a Plus2, I routed the tubing forward of the engine mount, the alternator was relocated to the carb side, this made it possible to maintain the assembly as a single piece, easily removed from from the vehicle, without the usual shifting the engine. Since I was using an annular clutch release, I removed the slave cylinder ring from the clutch housing. This allowed significant additional room to keep the exhaust much higher than the original system. The only part of the exhaust that is lower than the bottom of the chassis, is where it dips below the trans tailshaft to go down the center of the chassis. Just my way of doing things.

Hi Rob

That is very interesting, thank you! I will have to experiment and see what works best for my set up......

Tks again

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: