Spyder conversion wheels with "wrong" offsets.

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:54 pm

Hi Guys

I am in parts collection mode at the moment and are planning to pick up a fully built Zetec Spyder chassis with all the ford/sierra parts (no diff or prop) on Friday.

I have always liked the idea of a full Zetec conversion, but really dislike the way the wheels seem to stick out too far. So I was going to use the standard suspension set up with a Zetec engine. However with the arrival of the full Spyder what I need to know is if I have some minilites made up in a 5.5J width (vs the standard 6J in this application) and a higher ET, lets say 40mm vs the standard 22mm, can I bring the wheels inboard enough so that they look standard or very close to, or will I hit the callipers? Is there much clearance to play with? Anyone experimented with this?

And by the way, I already have a spaceframe chassis (early non zetec one) built up using standard (ish) arms and hubs and was about to start modifying it to take the Zetec before the above happened.

Many thanks in advance

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:37 pm

Berni,
There is some useful information on this old topic viewtopic.php?f=31&t=47808

Most of the criticism I have heard regarding the +2 Zetec conversion wheels has been the large gap between the tyre and wheel arch….. looks like it’s on steroids or the 4x4 look etc etc. I haven’t come across a criticism of them sticking out too far.

This is my +2 Zetec with 14x6 rims with 185/65/14 tyres

402541A8-5CBE-4D0A-9810-D5F62E315598.png and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi There

Your car does look great, and thank you for the link, I had read that one, and will certainly not be using a standard Spyder exhaust manifold. I think an oval exhaust might help clearance issues also.

I think the Spyder suspension is adjustable so the car can certainly be lowered to standard height. How do those spinners work on your car? The wheels are bolt on yes?

Once I have the chassis I will have to get some cheap Sierra or similar wheels and work out how much clearance there is between the callipers and wheel face and also the suspension and work out a desired ET.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:28 am

The spinners are just elaborate lightweight plastic wheel centres, purely for show.

The Spyder suspension is simply an adjustable spring perch and doesn’t give a lot of scope for lowering, maybe look for a lower spring rate on the front than Spyder do as standard (too stiff imo).

Spyder now sell an improved manifold that overcomes the grounding issues, if you use a centre silencer there is scope to make a mounting using riv nuts into the chassis rail.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:23 am

[Spyder fan"]The spinners are just elaborate lightweight plastic wheel centres, purely for show.

Plastic tat on a Lotus harumph. They’ve been on quite a few years now is Berni the first to notice or actually say something about them? :lol:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:29 am

Steve said "Plastic tat on a Lotus harumph."

As I see it all Sprints have plastic tat stuck along the sides in strips!! Running for cover, D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:24 pm

elanfan1 wrote:[Spyder fan"]The spinners are just elaborate lightweight plastic wheel centres, purely for show.

Plastic tat on a Lotus harumph. They’ve been on quite a few years now is Berni the first to notice or actually say something about them? :lol:

People only generally comment when there is something visually wrong or prominently different. For instance you expect to see spinners on a +2 (in most cases) so if they are present and unless you are doing a thorough examination the fact they are wrong or not quite right passes notice.

People expect to see sidewinder stripes on Elan's that have Sprint two tone paintwork, therefore very few people notice that mine say something different.
P1020896.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:11 pm

Thooper!

Sorry for thread drift!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:38 pm

Alan - how can you live with those gold wheels...............................Gosh how pure are black bumpers!! D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Those of you with a lot of dosh may have Sky Tv. You may have seen the programme " The White Lotus" - not two colours divided by stick on strips but white and pure like what I am!! D

Spain 2012 200 - Copy.JPG and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:51 pm

TBG wrote:Those of you with a lot of dosh may have Sky Tv. You may have seen the programme " The White Lotus" - not two colours divided by stick on strips but white and pure like what I am!! D

Spain 2012 200 - Copy.JPG

Look at the state of those sill bottoms :roll:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:34 pm

It is called mud for those who don't go out much!! And Spanish mud at that!! "200k and rising with no need for stick on stripes!! D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:54 pm

But that's a S3 Se so no side winders but a stainless metal strip
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:49 pm

So elegant.......................D