Electric Elans, ANY EV classic, or anything with a 'hole'

PostPost by: davidj » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:28 am

Those of you outside of the UK may not be aware of the IVA test. This is designed for self built ie kit cars and drastically modified cars to check they still meet modern standards. Cars are assessed on a score based on the modification; a new engine earns x points, chassis mods Y points etc. If the total score is over a threshold, I think used to be 7, the car effectively deemed to be a new vehicle, has to meet modern safety standards and gains a Q, non age related, number plate if it passes. Q signifies a car of indeterminate age. Unfortunately no classic car, including the elan would ever meet the standards.

This obviously gives major problems to anyone thinking of converting their car to electric power and particularly ridiculous in this case as the boot lid is non structural and could be unbolted and replaced.

I don't know where you stand legally if you simply don't inform the DVLA of the changes
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JohnMorin » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:42 am

elanfan1 wrote:If you can attract 100,000 signatures you can force a discussion in parliament. Sounds like that might be the answer.

Yes, please start a petition. I will definitely sign it and I know dozens of others who will. Don't keep this a Lotus - or Mini - issue, get all the other car clubs involved, they have just as much to lose.

John
1969 Elan S4 FHC, purchased in 1978, now with a big valve engine.
JohnMorin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnMorin » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:54 pm

This petition got the required amount of signatures and went to debate:

https://petition.parliament.uk/signatur ... 511/signed

I watched the debate which was very interesting and as far as us older car owners are concerned was successful.

I'll help to get it going if necessary.

John
1969 Elan S4 FHC, purchased in 1978, now with a big valve engine.
JohnMorin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:27 pm

Many thanks John.
I have been looking into this just today and thought it best to think carefully about the wording.
I have started to get some thoughts down so the petition will protect people who they could pick on easily like entries at large car shows.
I have also asked for a copy of the inspection report to see exactly what they are basing all this on, and to stop them moving the goalposts a third time.
Even if I get off the hook I feel it is still a necessary thing to do as they seem to be flexing their muscles and require victims.
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dan in NJ » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:34 pm

Hell All, Mostly a lurker looking for an Elan to replace the Europa frame-off project presently have and I remember this thread. Is there any update regarding the status?
Dan (in New Jersey, USA)
Dan in NJ
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: