Recommended Modifications for S3?

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi Nick,
Just to add a correction. Classic car leds Ltd do left and right hand drive headlamp conversions.
They are in Tenbury Wells in the UK.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilcritter » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:43 pm

Thank you Scott (snowyelan), Andy (Andy8421), Nick (elanner) and Eric (ericbushby) and all of you who posted previous to my last expression of appreciation.

It’s great to have this community. I’m going to table the swirl pot idea and instead I’ll be sure that either my radiator has built in header tank or I’ll have a header tank (such as from TTR or maybe Dave Bean or RD Enterprises since I’m in the US). The community has spoken and I and listening and learning!

I really appreciate the specific suggestion for Nick about a “standard, wide, S3 radiator recored and fit a 9" Spal fan (maybe two if you're worried). Then fit a blanking panel under it.” We don’t think the radiator that came with the project is worth being recored, but I’ll keep the standard option in mind. I am planning on getting a new radiator paired with a pusher fan and I like the idea of the blanking panel to optimize things. It’s those simple little ideas that I crave at this point. I like Spyder fan’s suggestion of the one based on Triumph’s full width radiator.

I also appreciate Nick’s suggestion about the LED’s, and the caution to do it to the rears to limit the insufficient current draw. I’ll remember that when the time comes.

Please keep the ideas coming! I’m sure there are tons of things I haven’t considered because I’m new at this. I’m grateful to all of you!

Neil
Neil Crittenden
Oklahoma City
1967 S3

"I don't know Jack"
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50881
neilcritter
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:05 am

ericbushby wrote:Hi Nick,
Just to add a correction. Classic car leds Ltd do left and right hand drive headlamp conversions.
They are in Tenbury Wells in the UK.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC

Hey - thanks for the link. I'll check them out. I kinda gave up looking a couple of years ago and use my phone lamp along with the headlamps to see where I'm going at night. :-)

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:14 pm

I agree that swirl pots are a good idea. A true round swirl pot designed to spin the coolant will help remove air. A better way is an air bleed setup with bleeds at the high points feeding into the top of an expansion tank. A return line is fitted to the bottom of the tank into the inlet side of the water pump. These systems continuously remove air from the system. New air comes from microboils and cavitation. Harrrison pioneered these systems in the 60s. I'm not aware of anyone selling a system like this for an Elan. But building one is simple enough. Many high performance modern cars use a similar system. You can make an Elan live without one. But it will increase the efficiency of the system.

Coilovers will give you some ride height adjustability. Adjustable control arms will allow you to optimize some important alignment settings. This is certainly not necessary. But Elans were designed at a time when the tires liked different alignment settings than current tires. Getting closer to the current tire's happy place will improve the driving experience.

A better (modern) brake pad is a good upgrade. EBC pads are well regarded.

Adding holes to the inner fender wells helps to pull hot air from the engine compartment.

Adding a heat shield to the clutch actuating cylinder helps them live longer and work better.

Elan airboxes are narrow and, in a high performance build, can limit airflow. Replacing the airbox with a better flowing one can help.

The many good ideas previously mentioned in this thread are well worth considering.

Making your car yours is an important part of this hobby! Enjoy!
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Regarding LED lights - I have always used Better car Lighting run and owned by a very helpful chap called Gil Keane. - [email protected]" target="_blank" . No affiliation just a very happy customer. He designs and has made most of his kit even down to led headlights for the original Fiat 500!! D

20200823_181533_001.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: