Electric K&N fuel pump installation advice needed

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:24 pm

I am installing one of these pumps after struggling to find a suitable Facet pump. I wanted to use a pump that did not require an additional regulator, the first Facet pump I selected turned out to be obsolete, and my second selection turned out to have the wrong published information. I gave up and bought a K&N pump, which looks remarkably like a Facet pump.

The box this K&N pump came in said that the suction lift was 24” whilst the pamphlet inside the box says the suction lift is 12”. The pamphlet also says the pump should be mounted at an angle of 45degrees, with the suction below the discharge, which is supposed to reduce or prevent vapour lock and air lock. I have sent an e-mail to K&N asking why their published data is inconsistent and why 45degrees is important, I have not received a reply. My internet reading seems to confirm the angle but I cannot find a reason. These pumps seem to be a solenoid surrounding a piston with a spring at one end, the piston moves in one direction by the solenoid and is returned by the spring.

Has anyone used such a pump, and know why this angle is important and what the suction lift is.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:25 am

Hi Richard,
I'm using a NAPA Posi-Flo 610-1051, 12v, 1.5-4 psi fuel pump that I believe is the same as your K&N, at least it looks the same. I believe both are probably Facit, #60104.

I mounted mine at 45° as instructed. It produces about 2 psi at the carbs. I had my first one fail in very hot weather on the way to Salt Lake City last September, but luckily I had a spare. There are no issues with lift or loss of prime, and it delivers enough fuel. I like the pump, but I'd have to say bring a spare if you really go anywhere. I think the failure was heat related.
Victor
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:00 am

I could imagine that in that position they assure no air lock happens in the chamber.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:42 pm

Victor & gherit,

Thanks for the replies. I imagine that the angle is to ensure air/vapour is purged from the pump, I would just like to know why 45 degrees and not any other angle. I am also disappointed that K&N did not reply.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: