Alex Black Elan Window Clamps

PostPost by: Dino246GTS# » Fri May 21, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi there
Looking for some help from someone who is using or about to use Alex Black's Cable / Window Clamps
on the Lotus Elan.
I got an early revision from Alex many many years ago but having problems with them not gripping the
Cables tight enough when I tried them in past week with motor attached for trial run. (Alex is not well at the moment)
I have confirmed that they are not the same design as the ones being used by people the past several years
and think this is reason they are not functioning properly.

So what I am looking for is a sketch of the Clamps with the dimensions especially the size / shape of the hole
where the two Cables pass through and if there is 1 or 2 4mm Grub Screws per Clamp. I suppose basically a sketch good enough for me to make some new ones.

Many thanks.
Dino246GTS#
Dino246GTS#
New-tral

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri May 21, 2021 6:45 pm

I downloaded this at one point from this forum
Attachments
Elan window cable fasteners_1.jpg and
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Sun May 23, 2021 8:38 am

Hello
After a long time, I made a sketch of the clamp stud.
I Have a downloadable PDF Dat. from my Fabrication in Process will them upload soon as possible..... :roll:
See too Brian Bucklands The Rebuilding of a Lotus Elan 2nd Edition Page 247-250.
Urs
Clamp stud.jpg and
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: phil1800 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:38 am

I am looking for a set of Alex Black window clamps. Is anybody fabricating these at the moment and willing to part with it?

Thank you!

Philipp
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:43 am

Hi Phillipp,
I make a version of Alex`s clamps and they are now in stock at Mick Miller Classic lotus.
The principle invented by Alex is the same but my design uses brass. They have not been advertised yet but seem to be selling well. All proceeds are being donated to Cancer Research UK.
Give them a try and i think you will be pleased.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:37 pm

I’ve used Eric’s clamps and they worked perfectly for me. I bought them from Susan Miller.

Thank you Eric and, as ever, thanks to Alex for the original idea and design.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phil1800 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:40 pm

Eric,

I will order these from Sue. Appreciate very much that you donate towards a good cause. Guys like you are much needed in these days!!!!

Philipp
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:55 am

Hi Phillip,
We have just had a glitch with the supply of my screws. A customer experienced a problem with one so I have asked Sue to return all her stock to me for checking in case there is more than one.. One day should be all I need and we will be back on track.
I have good screws here but now we will be delayed by the Easter post. Please order them from Sue and bear with us for a short time.
Thanks
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: