Any interest in modern window motor conversions for S3?

PostPost by: jebracing » Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Heads up, I’ll take a set. PM sent
Regards,

JB
67 Airflow FHC
36/7398 RHD
Plymouth,MI
jebracing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:19 pm

Have now installed the modern window motor kit on my driver's (LHD) side. The kit is well made and very straightforward to install. The new system is much faster and smoother than the old wiper motor setup. I kept the original wire color coding in place. Note, the extra ground on the old motor is not used.
IMG_7415 (1).jpeg and

I originally ordered the kits from ae_mike and the motors from Amazon (~$35 each) as a backup. Shortly thereafter both of my window cables failed. Thus, the opportunity to make the conversion now. I should note that the motor conversion by itself does not need removal of the window frame or getting involved with the glass/cable system.

I also took the opportunity to install a "one-touch" auto-up/down with autostop. Nice as a modern convenience but also I find myself unnecessarily pressing the window switch even when it is fully up or down thereby putting unneeded strain on the cable system. The unit I wired in is:
https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/product ... p-AND-Down
If you shop you can find this for half price. You need two units, one for each window. With these modules I was able to remove the relays (4) that I had previously installed to ensure good power to the windows.

All the mods (motor, one-touch) are hidden. Normal window switches remain in place unmodified. A momentary touch on the original switches and the window automatically goes up or down fully. While the window is moving, a second touch stops the window at a given point. Like most modern cars.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Looking at the AutoLoc, it's not clear to me if you need one or two modules for two windows. How many are required?
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:53 pm

One unit per motor. He actually states that.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:24 pm

Ah, thanks. I stopped reading his post as soon as I jumped to the AutoLoc link.

And I get so annoyed when others don't fully read a post before asking questions... :oops:
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi Michael,
I have been interested in doing this for a while. I think I stumbled up against the same problem of the drive. I searched and searched for a none gear drive that I could couple to. Eventually I came across a window motor that these guys who do the robot wars use. They have them with a wheel and tyre to act as a direct drive to the floor. The interesting part is they also do a right and left motor with a coupling with tapped holes. This can be modified. I bought one a while ago with the intention of doing a dummy build with an adaptor plate.
I was considering adding pegs or maybe cutting down the coupling to engage that into the nylon drum.
Due to moving house commitments etc I have not got back to it. However, as soon as settled I will trial it.
Not wishing to rain on your parade but I think it may knock costs out of the upgrade. I know nothing about 3D printing but imagine it to be expensive.
Will post a link to the site. Seem suitable and available. Would be interested in your view.
https://www.robotshop.com/uk/power-wind ... right.html

Cheers Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ae_mike » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 pm

Hey Mike,

I appreciate the suggestion for the motor but at this point, just not worth the time & effort to redesign everything.

the motor I use isn't that expensive, $35-40 for genuine GM parts, so not that different than what you found $23-25, just wish mine was available in the UK locally. Any new choice for a motor has to have enough torque to do the job as some window mechanisms have a extra motion ratio built into the regulator mechanism and use a smaller motor. the one I chose I got a window and mechanism and measured everything up to ensure the motor had enough torque but also not an excess amount like the original. Don't want to bust any cables or glass.

Building the kit to sell, the challenge is the costing of the adapter brackets and drive adapter. 3d printing can be expensive if you are only buying 1 or 2 parts since you pay for machine setup and programming. Same goes for the laser cut sheet metal parts. I'm risk buying >= 20 sets at a time to reduce the cost but I'm counting that people will buy them, so far ~10 sold. then there is all the time to get the plates plated, reaming holes, pressing in the standoffs to the plates, order all the electrical parts, package things up and ship them. I'm basically paying for my time as I'm not doing this to make a living but I'm not going to do it for free.

Michael
Michael Allison
1967 Elan S3 FHC being converted to modern electric drive
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi Michael,

Fair enough, I see you have done a lot of work and realise that making up a kit for others is hard going. I compliment you for doing this and making it available.
I will have a go and see were I get.

Cheers Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Deleted as It’s been pointed out to me that I’ve unintentionally crapped on the OP’s thread. My apologies

Sorry again.
Last edited by elanfan1 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nkat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 am

Ordered a kit, thanks, Mike.

The Dorman motors are now between $40 and $63 on Ebay, BTW.

Nigel.
nkat
New-tral

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:37 am

If anyone is looking to do this conversion, I have a few good used motors, will let them go pretty cheap.

BTW, I have this kit on my car, very satisfied.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Christ0pher » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:21 am

Hi Mike
Would like to purchase a set of the window conversion kits what is the best way to do this?
Chris
Christ0pher
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:38 pm

Michael,

Also interested in purchasing a kit to convert my car from you please (1968 S4 FHC) is timely as I had my passenger side fail en route to Silverstone last weekend so have to go into that door at least. PM inbound. Thank you.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ae_mike » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:24 pm

anyone currently interested in a kit, they are in stock and ready to ship. more info in the "Parts for Sale" forum under S3/S4 Window motor upgrade kit ( viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49525&p=376983#p376983 ) .
Michael Allison
1967 Elan S3 FHC being converted to modern electric drive
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Have just finished installing Mike’s conversion set into my S4. A really good product, with excellent instructions and a lovely smooth operation of the windows. The new motors are a lot lighter than the original motors which is a bonus :D . Now looking to order and fit the one touch electronic bits.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: