TRUNNIONLESS SUSPENSION KIT - GT6 VITESSE

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 am

disquek wrote:Thanks Rohan

But which specific Castrol grease? They make many and I couldn’t find the specs you list in my searches.

The the past when I knew something needed good grease but I didn’t know which was best, I used Krytox. But I could only afford it in travel toothpaste sizes. lol!

Kyle

Castrol Spheerol EPL2 ... Not a synthetic oil in the grease but in this sort of service and most grease service a mineral oil is fine.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusi ... a3q8bc.pdf

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Wed May 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi Rohan,

Thanks. I couldn't find that for sale in the US.

Is one of these the equivalent?

https://www.amazon.com/Mobilux-Grease-NLGI-13-7-oz
https://www.amazon.com/QuickSilver-8028 ... -Tube-Lube

-Kyle
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed May 12, 2021 8:47 pm

I have always been puzzled by the decision made by Triumph with respect to trunnion lubrication. I have only owned one Elan, but 4 Morriss 1000’s which have a similar trunnion, use grease and were designed at a similar time.

I have been fortunate in my industrial working life as my employer bought lubricants by the ton, and our lubricant suppliers Shell and there local agent were very helpful, I can’t remember any example of slow moving machinery where grease was not used.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 pm

Back to the topic for a moment: Some posters may not realise that Munro's car has a 4.6 Rover up front which, at 150 kg, is rather more than most of the applications the trunnions were expected to manage.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri May 14, 2021 12:44 am

Supposedly the GT6 engine weighs 180kg, though wiki posts 144–170 kg for the Rover.
Subtract Lotus (glass fibre) front axel weight, from GT6?
Spyder has got to be more developed for the Elan!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ChrisD » Fri May 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Really interesting topic. My last car was an early caterham with original trunnions. I converted to newer lower wishbones with spherical joints from later type with new uprights. I did this to feel safe for driving in the alps quickly with semis. And it was worth the conversion. Now having a 26r road clone with a (little) heavier Zetec, I still woulld like to throw out the trunnions. I think that there could be need for lower wishbones with spericals that fit later Caterham uprights. For me the perfect solution. Anyone done this without using conley kit?
Regards, Christian
ChrisD
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri May 14, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi Christian,

I was thinking the same and if I can get the time will borrow an upright for comparison - the one in the picture below if that is the same one you are thinking about.

Regards
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0101.jpg and
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat May 15, 2021 3:50 am

Not sure about the concerns over weight of the Rover/Buick alloy engine, worth reflecting on period TVR Griffiths etc which used good ole American V8's that are significantly heavier than the alloy Rover/Buick engine also used the Triumph uprights and trunnions. They've also been raced extensively and other than hits I've not heard of trunnions bending due to weight.

If worried fit the solid versions now used on lots of 26R's etc but be prepared to maintain them more regularly, and I'd be using grease as pointed out by Rohan.

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ChrisD » Sat May 15, 2021 5:40 am

I still use the solid 26r ones.
Nevertheless I think fitting spherical bearings would give me an even better feeling driving hard on bad roads in the mointains. And there is nothng that has to be greased.
@Steve. This is a newer Caterham upright for radial caliper mount.
The tricky point is to make a part that takes the spherical and fits correct between the wishbones other than the canley part.
Regards Christian
ChrisD
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: