Elan face level vents

PostPost by: baileyman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Here is the dash of a Shapecraft in Japan:

https://thegaragista.files.wordpress.co ... low-61.jpg

from The Garagista:

https://thegaragista.com/2013/03/24/ac- ... -in-japan/

In the radio slot are two rectangular face level vents. Ah, those would be nice. I keep puzzling how to do that--where does the air come from on the heater box (perhaps from an unheated section), how does it run through the pipes, as there seems to be no room for a path for the pipes. Any ideas?

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:02 am

The face level vents probably come from a rubber bumper MGB...

Andrew
Last edited by Frogelan on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bits » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:47 am

Good call John and Andrew.

I am looking on the best way to get more cold air into the cabin by fitting vents in the radio hole in the dash. The centre part of the heater is unheated air and that is where the side vents are fed with the smaller diameter flexi pipes. I want to leave them as it is.
I am currently looking at how to alter the air box to supply fresh unheated air to the radio dash vents and how the vents will be valved off when they are not required.

Regards,

Mark.
Bits
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am

Mark

I'm building a S2 GTS Elan and plan to place circuit breakers within the DIN radio panel.

I'm also going to fit a Demon Tweeks microheater heater for the screen as this provides the same output as the original (but is 20% of the size and weighs just 500g).

With respect to driver ventilation I was planning to have a separate feed to a Micronel fan and then feed the two sides of the dashboard (I will build my own crashpad from 9mm Banova plywood). I have not yet looked at diffusers but will repurpose something from Ebay.

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am

Mark

I'm building a S2 GTS Elan and plan to place circuit breakers within the DIN radio panel.

I'm also going to fit a Demon Tweeks microheater heater for the screen as this provides the same output as the original (but is 20% of the size and weighs just 500g).

With respect to driver ventilation I was planning to have a separate feed to a Micronel fan and then feed the two sides of the dashboard (I will build my own crashpad from 9mm Banova plywood). I have not yet looked at diffusers but will repurpose something from Ebay.

Andrew
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bits » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi Andrew,
I can see the advantage of replacing the original (heavy/bulky) heater with the Demon T's.
I will certainly consider this as it will free-up the space needed for the fresh air ducts from the air box.
Thanks,
Mark.
Bits
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Mark, there are 2 heaters sold by DT. The larger of the two is probably easier to use.

I will also add a manually operated on/off plastic tap as the repro engine mounted one's are not brilliant.

With the microheater (the smallest), I'm going to make up a piping system. Initially I spent time looking around my local hardware shop, Leroy Merlin. I have now realised that it will be simpler and cheaper to recycle some plastic bottles with the help of tank tape !

I hope this helps.

Andrew
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bits » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:01 pm

My heater is only 50mm thick - so did not come out of an Elan. Tho replacing it will definitely improve access to the air box for any mods.

img_2852.jpg and

:D :D :D :D
Bits
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 am

Now that I have my heater box in situ, I can see there is a passage in the rear that I think is what was used for the S3 plumbing for small vents at the ends of the dash. Using a 1.5" vac hose to mock it up, it appears there may be enough wiggle room to get from there to the radio slot. The de-mister hoses complicate things. And checking PaulH's videos, yes, there may be enough room. So we shall see. I have a pair of small Triumph eyeball vents that nearly fit the slot which I will try. It's the only non-stock interior item I am thinking of.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: