A Challenge....

PostPost by: gav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi all
I am nearing the end of a long list of reversible mods to make my Elan easier to use as a day to day car but there is one last task for me and I would welcome thoughts on approach.
My philosophy has been to maintain the external appearance throughout but this is one item that I may allow to change because function is to me more important than form.
I am talking about windscreen wipers that work as they should and don't lose contact from the glass as soon as you hit a reasonable speed.
I like the idea of the modern low profile blades that hug the contours of the screen but so far haven't found any arms to house them.
The motor is fine and the system up to the splines works ok and I don't really want to take the dash out to mess with them so I am looking at arms and blades at this stage.
What have people tried other than Rainex ?
I look forward to hearing.
Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Rainex and Speedblades??
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Still looking for alternatives to Rainex and speedblades....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ftsoft » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:29 pm

My wipers have always stayed on until around 100 mph. I don't reach these speeds anymore alas.
66 S2 26/5194
LP4711LA-B
ftsoft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 am

I haven't had much trouble with my +2. Passenger side has a bit the blades miss due to the curvature, but certainly good enough at legal highway speeds.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 am

i love GB and even lived there (NH) and know your weather very well, as we here share the wet climate with you; i can't really understand WHY elans have to be weather proof - in 40 yrs of ownership i NEVER took my baby for a WET WALK, as all of us (??) have a 2nd car, so why sacrifice? - just leave her at home: plus no wiper issues!! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 am

I have found the best way to make the wipers work 'as best they can' is to get the SMALLEST (length) ones you can find. If you get the larger length ones (14" I think) they don't contact the screen properly especially where the screen curves. If you get the smaller ones (12" maybe cant remember exact length) they obviously only clear a smaller area but at least they clear it more fully. It isn't easy to get them to work properly, I have tried for years. Rainex is great and is defo the way to go but needs re applying each time yo clear all the bugs off the screen which I find can get laborious.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:13 am

gav wrote:Hi all
I am nearing the end of a long list of reversible mods to make my Elan easier to use as a day to day car

Not to hijack the thread too much but i'd be interested in a list of the mods you have done so far.

Cheers, Paul
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 am

pabbage wrote:
gav wrote:Hi all
I am nearing the end of a long list of reversible mods to make my Elan easier to use as a day to day car

Not to hijack the thread too much but i'd be interested in a list of the mods you have done so far.
Cheers, Paul
Sorry about the comment that follow, but I had to do it:
That should stay in one line:
I just bought a Miata.
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jonesa62 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:06 am

I live in Australia and this is a problem the big prime movers suffer in the north in the high winds and heavy rain conditions of the summer storms. Stronger springs is the first obvious answer - but you can get stainless steel wiper helpers. I've attached a picture of the idea.
wiper-helper.jpg and
jonesa62
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the ideas so far.

I am currently running 14" blades so will try smaller - that's a great idea Keith. Not sure where you get 12" blades from but I see the logic.

Similarly the aerodynamic solution looks worthwhile

Christian - not sure i understand your point.

Paul - I am running a 2l Zetec mated to a Scorpio MT75 box and a 7 1/2" Sierra diff. Prop shaft and CV drive shafts are custom and feed into a Spyder RSC suspension system which works fine for me. The Zetec is controlled by an Emerald ECU and a full fuel injection system.
Brakes are split front and rear with the front being 4 pot Caterham vented discs and the rear standard Sierra (predominantly to get a proper handbrake but the rear brakes are too powerful so I use an adjustable limiter to balance them properly).
I have just refitted the dual circuit servo which reduces the pedal pressure somewhat (the pedal ratio isn't right but I love the pedal box and don't want to change it so am correcting the effect rather than the cause (!)
In the cabin I have a pair of leather Exige seats which are really comfortable and have built in head restraint. The only other changes are the handbrake which is on the central console and the speedo which following Foxie's post was made by Caerbont with original silk screening but digital with an electronic feed from the gearbox.

The idea is to have a modern solution that looks original externally but has creature comforts - even a heater that works. I don't think I will go all the way and fit a/c but I am thinking about how I can fit a sat nav that doesn't look like an afterthought.

My wiper motor is really hard to get to without removing the dash but I do want to change the park to the nearside which should help the wipers. At the moment, for some reason whenever I get to around 60, the drivers side tends to part company with the screen and I am running some very stiff springs at the moment - hence the search for improvements.

I don't tend to start a journey in the rain but have been caught out when the weather changes.

Happy to receive other suggestions.

Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: