Quick release steering wheel

PostPost by: Wayne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Hello,

Looking for information on a quick release steering wheel for the Elan S4. My friend with bad knees is having a hard time getting in and out of his car. Once he is in the seat he has no problems driving the car. I thought a quick release wheel would be the answer. He was an SCCA driver for years so a quick release wheel would make him feel at home. If the hub moved the wheel back a bit that would be ok. He has owned the Elan since 1970 so it would be a shame for him to not be able to drive it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
Attachments
ron-elan.jpg and
Wayne
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Most venders who supply the racing community have a sleeve and a removable hub to accommodate a removable steering wheel. They do require some welding of the sleeve to the steering shaft, which may require some modifications if he wishes to retain the covering between the dash and the wheel. One thing for sure, only purchase the splined sleeve style. The cheaper hex sleeves usually have a lot of slop between the wheel and the shaft.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Wayne,

I had a snap off steering wheel adaptor on a previous car. I don't know if one is available that fits an Elan, but as the steering column is from aTriumph you might be able to find something.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:06 am

Wayne,

I have a quick release adaptor on a couple of my cars purchased from Gary Schroeder (Schroedersteering.com). They use a bolt on multi-spline male unit on the steering shaft with a quick release female unit for the steering wheel mount. The multi spline design makes for a very nice tight fit, much better than a simple six sided design I tried earlier.

Schroeder's quick release adaptor is designed for a standard 3 bolt after market steering wheel. To fit my preferred wheel, which is a 6 bolt design, I had a machine shop make an adaptor from 1/2" thick aluminum (visible in the 1rst and 3rd photo).

I've attached a drawing of the Elan column which you may find useful when searching for a quick release should you not go with Schroeder. Elan column is 5/8" diameter 36 spline.
Attachments
elan-steering-shaft.jpg and
img_1129.jpg and
back of quick release showing the "pull" collar for the quick release
img_1128.jpg and
bolt on splined adaptor
img_1127.jpg and
wheel and quick release shown installed
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Try Caterham cars; lot's of the Caterham boys use them and I'm sure the Caterham uses a Triumph column.

In fact,here:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product. ... utm_medium
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Jono, The Caterham upper column is shorter than the Triumph item.

Brian.
Edited to add :- Triumph column is 27" long, Caterham is 15 3/4" long.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:46 pm

ncm wrote:Jono, The Caterham upper column is shorter than the Triumph item.

Brian.
Edited to add :- Triumph column is 27" long, Caterham is 15 3/4" long.

OK, you have lost me there (not difficult, I accept). Why does the length of the column have any bearing on the type of quick release than can be used?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:19 pm

I used to buy mine from Rallye Design, they came with a splined slug to weld to the existing steering column (shortened to suit)
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 am

I think you can buy wheels that have a flat that you leave at the bottom when getting in or out.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Steve, if you follow the link to Demon Tweeks in Jono's post you will see that it is for a quick release hub and a matching replacement upper column to fit a Caterham, not an adaptor to fit the original, hence my comment about the respective lengths.

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:29 pm

ncm wrote:Hi Steve, if you follow the link to Demon Tweeks in Jono's post you will see that it is for a quick release hub and a matching replacement upper column to fit a Caterham, not an adaptor to fit the original, hence my comment about the respective lengths.

Brian.

I have just had a look at Demon Tweeks, and I see that they have a variety of quick release fittings available, one which would appear to take the existing 15" Mota -Lita wheel on my Plus 2

Has anyone fitted one ? Does the horn work, ?

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:01 pm

bitsobrits wrote:Wayne,

I have a quick release adaptor on a couple of my cars purchased from Gary Schroeder (Schroedersteering.com). They use a bolt on multi-spline male unit on the steering shaft with a quick release female unit for the steering wheel mount. The multi spline design makes for a very nice tight fit, much better than a simple six sided design I tried earlier.

Schroeder's quick release adaptor is designed for a standard 3 bolt after market steering wheel. To fit my preferred wheel, which is a 6 bolt design, I had a machine shop make an adaptor from 1/2" thick aluminum (visible in the 1rst and 3rd photo).

I've attached a drawing of the Elan column which you may find useful when searching for a quick release should you not go with Schroeder. Elan column is 5/8" diameter 36 spline.

That's quite neat.
I used a Krontec on. The steering column part is welded on. https://www.krontec.de/medien/qr.pdf
Obviously you don't need the full electronic connections.
Worth looking also at B-G stuff. They are well made
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: