Fuel pump

PostPost by: shaun » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Finally modded filler with 1/4 bsp socket welded in , fitted fuel pump and trial fitted power key put a new shiny bit on as well
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
shaun
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Making good progress Shaun, keep it up. :D
Looks like your car will be back on the road before mine. :roll:
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Looks really good Shaun. Is it a tight fit to get the spare wheel in? Mine's goes up against the bulkhead.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:39 am

imho you still need to do the mod in the filler neck with a MX5 non return valve. The locking filler caps leak when you take corners and fuel will go all over your nice paintwork :shock:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AdrianSi » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:54 am

Just out of interest what should connect to the 1/4 bsp socket?

I have a hole in my Filler neck in that region that has been blanked off with a rubber grommet. Mine struggles with fuel leaking from the cap (non locking) and also sometimes I question the tank breathing especially after filling up with fuel as you can smell fuel vapour very heavily.
1970 Elan +2
Factory Federal RHD
B42 Midnight Blue (Esprit S4)
AdrianSi
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 am

The 1/4? BSP hose connection in the fuel filler is for the modified fuel breather system.

This has only one hose which goes under the roof lining (rather than the original two) and improves the fuel filling and lessens the smell of fuel.

The photo shows how the hoses connect up.

fuel-tank-new-breather-system.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:26 am

Alan, that?s an interesting comment re the one way valve.

I thought that this breather modification went a long way to stop the fuel spillage.

As my car is not on the road I cannot comment one way or the other.

I do know that Jon (jono) has the same breather modification and his car is back on the road.
I will try and get him to comment on his findings on this thread.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:25 pm

I agree with the comment re MX5 non return valve. I did the breather mod first but still got fuel on the wing. MX5 non return mod was an instant cure. I just cut the end containing the valve off the MX5 filler pushed it into one of the reducers mentioned in the conversion thread and pushed that assembly into the tank filler pipe. The large end of the reducer is a tight fit into that pipe. Then replaced the rubber hose as original.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:50 pm

I did get a reply from Jon (jono) and he confirmed that after fitting the breather modifications, he said he still had some fuel leaks from the filler cap.

I quote his comments:-

?Yes, I completed that mod but my intended purpose was to stop fuel smells - it has achieved that. I still get a petrol smell in the boot but I think this is due to the connection hose being vapour permeable.

I still get fuel leaks from the cap and would like to get this sorted. Mike Duff pointed out that there is an inner seal in the fuel cap which you will find if you take the roll pin out and remove the main seal and retaining plate. He replaced the secondary seal with a thicker one and he reckoned it eliminated the issue. I tried the same mod and it certainly improved things greatly if not completely eliminating the problem.

The Mike Duff cure has, I think, potential to cure the issue but I never sourced the best size of inner seal which I aim to do this year in an effort to cure this once and for all. The MX5 mod is certainly interesting and I may try that as well.?

Jon?s comments adds to those made above by Alan and Dougal.

So at my stage of restoration, I will incorporate both the Mike Duff cure and the MX5 mod :)
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:04 am

If there is fuel spilling down the wing it's usually because a vented cap is fitted. The Plus 2 doesn't need a vented cap, mine has one so I filled the vent holes with solder - no more leaks

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 am

Hi everyone. I hope this helps. I did the fuel tank breather mod some years ago. I have never had a fuel filler cap leak, but after the car stood in my garage for some time I could detect a fairly strong fuel smell. This was from the single remaining breather, I then fitted a Newton valve which eliminated all fuel smell, even after standing all winter in a cardoon.
Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pete d » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Chris ,were did you fit the Newton valve , will do this mod for belt and braces !
pete d
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 am

I don't know if the fitting in the filler will improve filling, it is really the design of the tank with the filler entering partway down that is the problem. I did not run a hose over the headliner, merely over above the side vent and straight down, this way everything is accessible and no smells. Sealed cap with a good gasket does not leak.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: