PostPost by: PeterK » Fri May 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Visited Ray West Tuning at Thruxton circuit today to get my Plus 2 set up.

It's a 2 litre Zetec (not new by any means), running 45mm Jenvey TBs with Emerald ECU. Arrived with only 126.5 hp (way too rich in places and with extremely retarded ignition), and left with 151.7 at the rear wheels, with a significant hike in torque across the rev range, as well as reving over 500rpm higher.

Drives very nicely now :-)
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Outstanding results, Peter! They obviously know what to do with that Emerald stuff and the Jenveys. What about Webers?

Can you share with us what the approximate cost would be for such a "tune up" ?

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri May 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Glad to hear it, Peter!

Was wondering how your dyno session would go for you. I did an dyno session on my Formula Ford right after I built it. We picked up 10HP with additional timing advance and discovering the Weber DGV was not opening completely on the secondary butterfly. Best $80 I spent that weekend.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Sat May 23, 2015 5:42 am

@Randy
Required dyno & tuning time dictates the price with Ray (who races BMWs and Porsches himself and sets up many race cars). He charges by the hour, took about 2.5 hours and it cost me ?150 plus tax (20%). He could have got a bit more, but the tiny changes would have required a disproportionate amount of time. For a road car, I'm happy with where we ended.
Yes, they can do carbs, but I don't know how often they do that now, nor what spares, jets, etc they would have in stock.
Emerald, who make my ECU, will map your system for a flat charge of ?325 plus tax. However, they're about 3.5 hours away from me and Ray is less than 45 minutes. Ray told me that Dave Walker (Mr. Emerald) used to use his Dyno in London before he started Emerald.

@Dan
Standing by your car with the engine hitting 7k revs is scary ! However it did let me notice that at high revs water was being pushed out of the blanking cap that replaced the pressure relief cap on top of the cylinder head. A quick squeeze with pliers and all fixed. Would never have found that otherwise.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat May 23, 2015 6:18 am

Pretty awesome, Peter. Thanks for sharing. I personally think that money was well spent; would love to be able to do something similar local to me when the time comes. And yeah, just watching dyno sessions on youtube is scary enough; to be there in person with your own car's motor screaming would be a very unique experience for me, to say the least.

And Dan, $80 for dyno work? Wow, that sounds like something out of the 1970s. Very nice!
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: