Lotus Elan

Electric Elan

PostPost by: DJW » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:15 pm

Oooh shall I EV the Radical ;)

Enjoyed the video and can see the appeal when the prices come down.
1970 Elan Plus 2 S
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Ah, but if you do will it still be a Radical? :twisted:

I know you were just kidding. It's radical enough already. :)
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"Every Lotus that an owner modifies makes yours worth that much more." - You're welcome!
Bud English
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm

Nice video Mark! My motor is back in the Europa and I’ve added another Tesla module bringing the voltage up to 120V total. It made a huge difference in the motor output. My Europa S2 is a similar weight to an S1 which is what I was aiming for. This second lockdown and a very quiet winter at work will finally give me the push to get the bodywork done. I’ve still got my Nissan Leaf motor set up lurking in the back of the garage. Perhaps for the next one! I really want to move up to the 400v OEM range. Home energy storage with solar is also on the list.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LotusElon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:50 am

Nice 1 .. I'd LOVE a Europa EV !

Maybe after this weirdness I'll get Elon over to Ireland ... I hear there is great charging infrastructure.

Have you been in touch with your local Damien Maguire ? a god on the EV conversion scene https://youtube.com/c/Evbmw

I hear he can whisper A LOT of power from leaf motors
'Lotus_Elon' to get another 50yrs of Elan Handling 'https://www.instagram.com/lotus_elon/'
LotusElon
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:27 pm

Yeah, Damien promised to build me a controller for the Leaf inverter. That was before all the madness. He’s a VERY busy man but what he can do with salvaged parts is amazing. The Europa is super light. Charging network is ok here. I drove my standard range Model 3 from my home in Wicklow to Belfast (for work). It made it on a full charge with 10% to spare and it didn’t catch fire nor did I run over any pedestrians! I’ll never go back to an ICE for my daily driver.

Am aiming to use my Tesla battery modules ultimately for home energy storage. Hope to drive on sunshine in the future. Did you every watch Jack Rickard on EVTV? Sadly he passed away late last year but he was way ahead of his time. His YouTube videos are a treat if you can speed them up! I may not have agreed with all of his political views but I respected his knowledge and enjoyed his sense of humor.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LotusElon » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 am

Yes sad about Jack , I too loved his videos. Now also enjoy, Vintage Voltage and zero-ev for inspiration.

I use the 28Kwh batteries in the Elan to also power the house kinda V2G .. only limited by the wattage of the DC-DC converter.
'Lotus_Elon' to get another 50yrs of Elan Handling 'https://www.instagram.com/lotus_elon/'
LotusElon
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: