Has anyone tried?......

PostPost by: gav » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Any form of remote brake bias system?

I've been battling with the set up for a little while now and have concluded that I need to use two master cylinders.

I am currently running a standard pedal box that I dont want to butcher and I am thinking about fitting a bulkhead unit that would split the cylinders in the engine bay.

Has anyone tried this route and if so, how did you get on?

Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: roblotus79 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:02 am

Sorry I'm a neophyte, but look at the 72 DHC sprint for sale on this forum. It has a brake bias setup on it.
50/2180 1969 Elan Plus 2
1990 Esprit Turbo SE
1986 Carrera 3.2
1982 Turbo Esprit - SOLD
1970 Europa S2 - SOLD
roblotus79
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 pm

gav wrote:Any form of remote brake bias system?

I've been battling with the set up for a little while now and have concluded that I need to use two master cylinders.

I am currently running a standard pedal box that I dont want to butcher and I am thinking about fitting a bulkhead unit that would split the cylinders in the engine bay.

Has anyone tried this route and if so, how did you get on?

Thanks
Gavin

Two-seater or Plus ?... LHD or RHD?

It looks as if it would be easier on a Plus 2 what with the master cylinders being backward facing and above the foot-well ceiling.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Its a 72 RHD Spint

'Scuse the ignorance but what's a neophyte?

Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 pm

gav wrote:Its a 72 RHD Spint

Thanks
Gavin

A new person ?

Dictionaries seem to agree on Novice or Beginner.

Apparently from Greek & means newly planted.

So it's a polite word for a forum newbie. :D :D

:D :D
Last edited by billwill on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm

gav wrote:Its a 72 RHD Spint

Thanks
Gavin

Per the dictionary:
neo: new
phyte: plant having a (specified) characteristic or habitat

So it's a new plant?????????

Art
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:01 am

Yes.....I posted pictures and information. Earlier . You will have to dig a bit for it
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:23 am

Back in the 70s I used a modified Mini rear brake pressure reducer (drilled and treaded one end so that the bias could be adjusted) but you can buy proper in line brake bias units these days. Not as good as a twin master cylinder setup as they only adjust the rear brakes but better than standard and a lot easier to fit (and cheaper). I positioned it so I could adjust the bias from the driver's seat.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dlbutler » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 am

gav wrote:Any form of remote brake bias system?

. . .
Thanks
Gavin

Are you asking this because the rear brakes lock up first? Mine did too. I changed to Ferodo Racing DS2500 compound pads in the front and standard Lotus pads in the rear. Now the fronts will lock first. Much safer. I like driving at a brisk pace on back roads (I LOVE switchbacks) and the Ferodos never change grip with heat.

Don Butler

Where I bought mine: http://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-series/ ... S+ELAN+S4+
1969 Elan S4
1700 cc, Dave Bean #112 cams.
Union Jack Exotics
dlbutler
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:20 am

The s2 26R had dual maste cyclinders with balance bar for bias adjustment, you can buy these from Tony Thompson racing or Kelsport, im sure others have the parts.
If road car why not fit bias valve in main rear brake line. Easier, cheaper and less modificatiion. V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

I am currently running an adjustable reducer on the rears and was hoping thet it would result in more pressure to the front - not so, the front is the same as it was before.
The rear is controllable now (it doesn't go light and try to spin me) when I hit the brakes but I can't lock up the fronts and I think I should be able to.
I am running DS 2500 all round at the moment
The kelsport pedal box is ?650 including VAT - so not affordable.
Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:59 pm

As an aside, I have always wondered why the rear discs are bigger than the fronts. Chapman strut design constaints?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:02 am

D.P.O.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:48 am

stevebroad wrote:As an aside, I have always wondered why the rear discs are bigger than the fronts. Chapman strut design constaints?

With the donuts and strut all competing for space a larger disc was needed to get the calliper out of the way

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:05 am

gav wrote:I am currently running an adjustable reducer on the rears and was hoping thet it would result in more pressure to the front - not so, the front is the same as it was before.
The rear is controllable now (it doesn't go light and try to spin me) when I hit the brakes but I can't lock up the fronts and I think I should be able to.
I am running DS 2500 all round at the moment
The kelsport pedal box is ?650 including VAT - so not affordable.
Thanks
Gavin

Hi Gavin
When you say you cant lock up the fronts is that because the rears lock first or you cant lock up any wheels?

I run high coefficient fronts ( similar to DS2500) and lower coefficient rears to balance up the brakes and never needed more than this on the road or track. My fronts lock first and my rears a little later if I apply more pressure. The rest of my brake system is standard non boosted S4 Elan so I don't know why you cant lock your brakes. What sort of tyres are you using? Are your disks or pads glazed or badly grooved?

With normal tyres and good disks and pads the effort to lock an un-boosted Elan should not be excessively high. However brake pedal feel is a personal thing and if you find the effort too high to lock the brakes without a booster then perhaps you need to install one.

If you really want a balance bar set up I don't know of any cheap bolt in alternative. Like you say you probably need fabricate your own. I would think it would be easiest to start with a suitable standard race car set up and try to adapt it but the space is limited so it will take some work. The only ones I have seen fitted are the original 26R style and as produced these days by TTR and Kelsport.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: