My first post & may upset a few people! (Spyder content) ;)

PostPost by: Junks » Thu May 10, 2012 7:06 am

Hi

I've owned a few +2's (amongst others) over the years but always wanted one that was completely rebuilt that I could actually use from inside the car instead of underneath! Well that didn't happen & about 18months ago I bought a half rebuilt +2S130 complete with Spyder chassis & full Zetec conversion. Basically all the running gear, brakes, infact everything bolted to the chassis was brand new. The body had been finished in spray filler apparently by Robin Alabaster so that was a load of work not needed. However the car was completely bare!

I decided I would not have enough time to complete this myself (other Lotus projects going on) so gave it to a local restorer who is doing a great job. We have been doing it since about November last year & changing everything that use to annoy about owning one in the past. I decided that since it wasn't original anyway with the Spyder gear & Zetec engine why stop there!

So far we have ditched the vaccum units & replaced with Mazda MX5 headlamp lift motors which work fantastically, installed Renault Clio Electric window mechs again which are amazingly good, electronic (failsafe) boot & bonnet releases removing the external Imp hinges & replacing with spring assisted Lotus Excel ones. After refurbing the pedalbox we decided it still looked shit so have installed a Lotus Elise unit with AP master cylinder, Lotus Elise (GM) indicator & wiper stalks with bespoke polished aluminium cowl. In the engine bay we fitted a remote oil filter, made a combined ally tank with a seperator for the header tank & washer bottle, moved an ally rad down the nose of the car & rerouted the air cleaner.

I have bought a complete leather interior from Vincent Hayden which we be installed once the paintwork is done & currently wer are replacing all the wiring with new & altering the dash layout slightly & having a new dash made.

Hope to get some photos up soon :)

Hope to get some photos up soon
Junks
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu May 10, 2012 8:24 am

No upset here,but maybe this'll help...

http://www.kit-cars.com/kit_car_home.html

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Junks » Thu May 10, 2012 9:02 am

john.p.clegg wrote:No upset here,but maybe this'll help...

http://www.kit-cars.com/kit_car_home.html

John :wink:

:lol: Well I guess most are anyway ;)
Junks
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 am

Salut Junks

Not upset either - it's your car; and I'd be interested in the changes (won't say improvements, just in case) that you've made; and your comparison with the original.

Photos and details about the MX5 headlight lifters and Renault Clio window mechs would be particularly appreciated.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu May 10, 2012 10:47 am

Junks
You are not moving away from SELOC (the Porsche forum) are you ?
Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Junks » Thu May 10, 2012 11:59 am

Will update with photos & more info when I have it.

Vernon - The MX5 lift motors work amazingly well, we have changed the bobbin & bolt design on both the headlamps & bonnet to sealed bearings & stainless rods to help, obviously I don't know about longevity yet only time will tell. The Clio window mechs had to be shortened & reshaped slightly but were only ?30 the pair for the complete units & again seem to work very well with the windows moving much more like they mean it ;)

Ben no mate :lol: Bought a crash pad off Bob on here & he mentioned the forum so I thought I'd post about the +2. To be honest I don't post that much on any forum anymore - other than answers ;)
Junks
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Well I for one am glad you did post!

The vacuum units are rusted through on my Elan, it will be another few years before I restore it but had been thinking about the MX5 units and other window motors.

I recall looking at an MX5 one from under the wheelarch or maybe it was under the bonnet, I found a knob which when twirled would manually raise the lights, that is untill you got them to a certain height and it was spun out of my grip as the lights decended again!!

As I recall there was also a neat feature, there was a button on the dash with a pictogram of washing a car, it was a jap import that a girlfriend had bought and she was stumped as to what the function could be, it was to raise the headlights without illuminating them for washing.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Vern,

Pic of my conversion - motors from and Excel I think but the same as MX5, Ford Probe, Celica etc.

I obtained new actuator rods for an M100 (SW Lotus Spares were flogging them cheap on the 'Bay) and extended them with some brass bar. Bit of a faff getting the pitch correct but they work great once all adjusted. You may notice a small black box in the nose area - that contains the various relays which operate the lifters.

Will post up some more detailed pics when I get a chance.

Jon
Attachments
P1080291.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

There are already several very detailed threads on here showing various electric headlamp actuators.

I think lots of us would be interested to see photos of your window lifters; anything has got to be better than those old Ford wiper motors!

Have you considered fitting 4 wheel drive? I can highly recommend it.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm

50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 pm

4 wheel drive? I`m going for 6 wheel drive and none of my visitors are surprised !
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Sat May 19, 2012 9:00 am

Hello Phil (Junks) from a fellow seloc'r!

I'm currently building a zetec S4 Elan and doing my own thing, although I'm not quite as far ahead as you as I've been doing a lot of work on the elise.
Like many others I'm using mx-5 motors for the headlights & have been thinking about going to the local scrapyards for ideas on electric window motors, so I too would be interested in some pics please.
Not to mention pics of the car in general as I'm sure it will be very nice judging by previous projects I've seen.

Cheers,
Mark :D
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Junks » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 am

Sorry its taken so long but here are a few photo's!

Spyder spaceframe chassis with full independent wishbones

Body in spray filler

Engine in situ

Spyder front suspsension

Excel boot hinge & spring to do away with the nasty stress cracks on the boot surface

Elise pedal box

& from the outside with larger AP master cylinder
Junks
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 am

Junks, looks good.
Positive reaction yesterday on SELOC
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 am