1967 S4 (Frankenstein)

PostPost by: shdmro » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 am

We bought this car as a birthday gift for my father in 1983. It was constructed in the UK using parts from wrecked '67 and '68 Elans, but would not pass MOT, so it was shipped over here to be sold. After watching Dad drive it the first time we took it away and had a roll cage installed (wanted to give him a gift - not kill him). It was an everyday driver for Dad for most of the '80s. In 2008 it was not running and Dad asked me to look into getting it back on the road. My mechanic friend and I rebuilt the webers, added an auxiliary cooling fan, replaced the gas tank, machined the head, bored the cylinders, and replaced the pistons with parts from Dave Bean. I drove it most days in good weather for a few years, including 100+ mile trips to Cape Cod.
It became less reliable and I thought both the coil and the thermostat were not working correctly (it started running hot and would only start when a screwdriver was lightly tapping on the coil). At about that time I had a disagreement with my mechanic so I parked it in the garage with the intention of finding someone else to collaborate with on getting it back on the road in the spring. It has not moved for four years. No doubt the carburetors are gummed up and likely other problems from not being used. I don't have the time to devote to it. Not quite a barn find but it needs work before it runs again.
I am looking for someone who wants to get it running and use it. It is really fun to drive. (The paint is terrible.)
Attachments
IMG_0375.JPG and
IMG_0076.jpg and
car4-001.jpg and
shdmro
New-tral

PostPost by: skyarch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 am

I'm interested! Give me a call at two six seven, two three seven, two 9 four 8
Thanks, Joseph
skyarch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 4545colin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi,
Interested in your car and price, have a few of them over here in Scotland and fancy another project.
Cheers Colin
4545colin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: shdmro » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Someone is coming to look at the car this weekend. If they decide not to take it I will update this post.

The steering wheel is on the correct side for Scotland (right hand drive) but not sure the shipping cost from Massachusetts.

Price is best reasonable offer. I am not trying to make lots of money on the deal, only to find someone who has time to get it running again to enjoy this really fun car.
shdmro
New-tral

PostPost by: 4545colin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Ok, let me know if it is still available after this weekend? I will check out shipping costs in the meantime just in case it will be available.
Cheers Colin
4545colin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: shdmro » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Bitter sweet sending this car to a new home.
Attachments
2021-11-19 14.59.59.jpg and
shdmro
New-tral

PostPost by: skyarch » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:32 pm

IMG_0014.JPG and
The Elan arrived at it's new caretakers home about 8 hours later, lots a traffic!!
skyarch
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: