65 Elan S2

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm

I've hesitated for days wondering if I'm doing the right thing but I'm posting this up now.

1965 S2 Elan for sale -maybe

I'm not sure I really want to sell my Elan, but I'm trying to be realistic and realise that my ageing and aching body is getting too old for it. I do enjoy driving it still, but I'm just not using it as much as I'd like. I know I'll probably regret selling it as I've put so much into it over the last 5 years or so and it is going so well, but maybe a more modern Lotus would suit me better. The full restoration of this car is well documented on here (Restoration of Elan S2 - EOK) where you can read that it had been off the road for nearly 40 years and the restoration started and stalled several times, including some chassis work by Mick Miller. Here's a summary of what has been done:
Complete body off, nut and bolt restoration
Spider subframe with Spyder wishbones and new front and back suspension
Restored callipers and new pads
New copper brake lines
Original k/o wheels, powder coated and painted silver
Engine rehoned, new pistons, bearings, reground crank
Head completely renovated with new valves and seats, new springs and guides, big valve and SE cam on inlet only giving ~ 115 bhp at the flywheel
Carbs ultrasonically cleaned with replacement jets, balanced. Electric fuel pump in boot for only priming the carbs, not permanently on.
Electronic ignition
Original Marston radiator, refurbed, fitted with two 9" electric fans manually operated
New starter motor
New front wiring loom with extra relays for lamps, fans
Body taken back to bare gel coat, cracks and repairs made good and primed with high build 2-pack primer. Finished in cellulose LO4 Cirrus White. A couple of very small cracks have reappeared on the bonnet(hood) since and one or two other tiny flaws can be found if searched for, but otherwise very very good still.
New Hood
New tonneau
OEM hardtop in matching Cirrus White ( needs headlining fitting, supplied)
New windscreen
As original "rhino hide" rubber flooring - very expensive from USA
Seats restored sympathetically reusing the original centre panels
New dashboard
Original Springall steering wheel
Doors rebuilt with newly chromed interior/exterior locks and window strips. SS to replace other interior steel. New armrests to original pattern
New inertia seatbelts
New ali fuel tank
New Stainless exhaust system
Oh I should say that there's a short , 3". Crack in the crash pad
There's a myriad of other small things, but that's the essence
Actually reading all that makes me wonder if I really want to sell...? But if I can get anything like what I think it's worth I'll let it go, if I don't I'll probably be relieved and keep it for a bit longer.
Asking?39500 or v near offer

Not sure if this is not enough or too much, but I'd be happy enough.........I suppose :?
S2 Elan for sale -maybe
Attachments
IMG_0548.JPG and
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG (97.94 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
IMG_1319.JPG and
IMG_1321.JPG and
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:15 pm

I’ve been offered £35k by a Lotus dealer. Hesitating to accept as I think it’s worth more, BUT I really don’t want the hassle of dealing with a private buyer . What to do?
Take the offer?
Hold out for a private sale, which may take ages?
Keep the car?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat May 15, 2021 6:43 am

I say keep the car........

It's been a very strange 18 months and none of our cars have been used that much.....it is such a beautiful job you did there in the restoration and I really believe that you should drive it more as it will keep you from ageing and keep a smile on your face......

Just my tuppence worth.....

If you have any doubts, don't sell.....

It's a bit like that old saying about marriage but changed in this case....."sell (marry!) in haste, repent at leisure"...

You'll miss it mate!.......

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Mon May 24, 2021 8:39 pm

Don't sell it Geoff! Your car is just too lovely. Mind you, if you do it will make my S2 look better at local Club Lotus meets and stop me having to defend my lack of a genuine Springall steering wheel, lack of Elephant Hide and lack of OE hardtop. I do have a genuine Lotus chassis though! You could, of course, keep the car and sell me your hardtop, that alone would give you enough cash to buy another project :) . Or sell me the hardtop and the car to somebody else!!!

Hopefully see you soon.

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue May 25, 2021 4:54 am

Keep it Geoff,
As Adam says, it’s been a strange 18 months. My S4 nearly went up for sale at a similar price last month because I simply haven’t used it and I’m planning another project for which it would be nice ( but not necessary) to release funds.

I have a friend who has veteran and vintage cars who is too old and crotchety to use them much, but he says “ They live in the barn and they don’t eat anything, unlike the pedigree Limousin cattle that my wife has as her hobby”

The enormous pleasure of ownership and occasional driving shouldn’t be underestimated.

Don’t feel guilty about not using the car, it can’t cost you more than a few hundred pounds a year to service and insure.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Thanks for all the advice chaps, much appreciated. I lay down in a darkened room for a while and the feeling has gone away..........again! I was close to selling and buying a M100 Elan as I thought it might be a little easier for me and wife to get in and out, but I got her out on the road (car not wife!) and the thought went through my mind " what the *^+$¥? are you thinking" :roll: :lol: She's just beautiful and goes so well (car not wife ! :mrgreen: ) So I'm NOT selling.........at least not yet.........unless????? NOOOOOO !!
I have to say, everyone that gave me the encouragement to keep her (car not wife) was a major influence. Thank you :wink:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:08 pm

Geoffers71 wrote:Thanks for all the advice chaps, much appreciated. I lay down in a darkened room for a while and the feeling has gone away..........again! I was close to selling and buying a M100 Elan as I thought it might be a little easier for me and wife to get in and out, but I got her out on the road (car not wife!) and the thought went through my mind " what the *^+$¥? are you thinking" :roll: :lol: She's just beautiful and goes so well (car not wife ! :mrgreen: ) So I'm NOT selling.........at least not yet.........unless????? NOOOOOO !!
I have to say, everyone that gave me the encouragement to keep her (car not wife) was a major influence. Thank you :wink:

good thinking... yet I'm a bit confused : are you still selling the wife ?

keep it on the road
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:03 pm

"good thinking... yet I'm a bit confused : are you still selling the wife ? "

Not worth it........wouldn't get much for her these days :D Ouch! Sorry dear :(
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Geoffers71 wrote:"good thinking... yet I'm a bit confused : are you still selling the wife ? "

Not worth it........wouldn't get much for her these days :D Ouch! Sorry dear :(

I understand, invaluable then ...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:07 pm

:D :D :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm

I had a read n Wickipedia about wife selling…. Seems to be a perfectly reasonable practice to me :mrgreen:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_se ... ish_custom)

Wife selling in England was a way of ending an unsatisfactory marriage that probably began in the late 17th century, when divorce was a practical impossibility for all but the very wealthiest. After parading his wife with a halter around her neck, arm, or waist, a husband would publicly auction her to the highest bidder.

Have you been married since the 17th century Geoffers? Or does it just seem like it….
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 316sl » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 am

Such a dream built! I had watched your restoration post and this is my dream to have one s2 project car and build by my own. I know I can do it someday.
316sl
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:02 am

Are there any Elans left in HKG?

About ten years ago I looked at the S3 fhc prototype in...I can't remember, I think it was in the Southern District, but it was sold and I don't know where it is now.

A few Elan's appear in films made in HKG in the 60's.

Geoffers did a lovely job on his Elan and white really suits it.
Last edited by Mazzini on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 316sl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:41 pm

Mazzini wrote:Are their any Elans left in HKG?

About ten years ago I looked at the S3 fhc prototype in...I can't remember, I think it was in the Southern District, but it was sold and I don't know where it is now.

A few Elan's appear in films made in HKG in the 60's.

Geoffers did a lovely job on his Elan and white really suits it.

As I know there are 2 sprint in Hong Kong

I saw one in person last year. Before I saw it, I don’t know what car is it cause it’s just too rare to be seen and I’m not a classics car guy. But then once I see that yellow elan I was like love in the first sight haha

Then I google a lot and joined this forum.
Attachments
342355E1-5CE0-44E3-9261-56FF13F8B262.jpeg and
316sl
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Love the number plate!

A few years ago on Jaffe Road I saw a Mclaren with the number plate 'U WISH' :D

If you ever make it to the UK drop me a line and I'll take you out in an Elan and if I ever make it back to HKG we can go for a beer.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: